Chapter 1 - Taylor

It all began after I noticed the screaming - to be fair that took me a while to notice

It all began after I noticed the screaming - to be fair that took me a while to notice. I had been blasting The Pretty Reckless with a noise canceling headset on. On a side note; those things really did work. And maybe, just maybe I had heard but didn't think much of it. I lived in the suburbs, I babysat over four different kids from around here. They loved to go outside and scream their heads off for no reason.

It wasn't until a scream that was more like a screech of utter panic came from someone just as a song changed over to the next when I realized. Pushing away from my desk, papers from my project fall around. I curse but don't bother picking them up as I move to my window. My room is on the second floor, overlooking the front yard and with our house being in the middle of the street I can see both ends. Just as I get to the window a loud crashing noise followed by another scream makes me jump back.

Shaking off some of the sudden fear I felt jump into my throat I move back to the window to only be horrified even more. All the blood, the people I grew up around, either running from a small group of blood-caked people or they were a part of the group chasing. It looked like a bad horror movie, the cast being my neighbors, my friends. I want to puke.

Watching the street in horror I see someone stumbling to the wrecked car, and more screams. I was frozen at my window, seeing the person grab the top of the half open window and pulling until the glass shattered. What happened next made me move from my spot and I ran to the bathroom. I had to throw up everything, and that's when the tears started down my face.

When I was done with puking, I moved to the door on my knees, closing and locking it. My brain was going a mile a minute, starting to finally comprehend the situation I was in. My parents had always complimented me on being calm in a bad situation. And I really had to take a deep breath to pull myself together. It didn't stop the tears from coming, but I was able to think a little better. My phone found its way to my hands and I pulled up my mom's number and hit the call button. As I waited through the rings, I pulled my tooth brush out.

No answer. I put paste on my tooth brush and called again. Sure, brushing my teeth right now seemed stupid but I needed this second because I couldn't do anything outside but get myself killed. I start brushing my teeth, then dial my dad up when my moms phone goes to voicemail again.

On the third ring my dad answered. "What's up buttercup?"

I spit the paste out and tell him. "There's people outside, screaming and eating each other."

It was too calm, but a tremor of fear I think in my voice. My dad pauses for a moment, I pick up my phone and hold it to see my dad's confused face. "What? I don't think I heard you right?"

I move quickly back to my room, to the window, and then turn my camera around to show him the street. I watched my dad's stubbled face turn even more confused, then worried. "Taylor, is anyone in the house?"

"I don't think so." Fuck these tears don't stop.

"I'm going to grab your mom. Stay in the house unless you have no other option, grab your bow and my work gun." I turned the camera back around to face me and I nodded before rushing over to my closet. I had taken up archery classes when I was little, now I shoot arrows for fun while my dad shoots his guns at the range. I had gotten this particular compound bow last year for my eighteenth birthday. Matte black with glossy blood red accents, a sight, a detachable quiver and arrows to match my bow. I had no idea I'd be using it in this way.

"Use your bow if you can, it won't make as much noise." My dad instructs me as I grab the bag with my extra quiver and arrows. "In the closet with my gun I have hunting knives. Take one of those too. Then go around the house, make sure everything is locked, put the bookcase in front of the front window."

I ran to my parents room as he gave me more instructions. I went to their closet, to my dad's side and opened the gun safe. It hadn't been locked in years, I was old enough to know not to fuck around with his work stuff. As I pull out the gun in the black leather holder that would attach to a belt, my dad disappears from the camera and I hear my mothers voice in the background. There was a little relief in knowing my parents were okay and together. My hand moves over my dad's police badge and to one of the hunting knives also in a little holder.

"Taylor?" My dad says, I look back to my phone. I could see myself in the little camera, I had stopped crying, but now I looked shell shocked. "I don't know if there are any flights Taylor, we're going to try to get to you, but if we can't, your uncle..."

The screen changes as the call drops. I drop the gun and knife back onto the shelf, grabbing my phone and redialing my dad. It doesn't ring, it goes to a blank tone then fails to call. I fall to the floor of the closet with my head in my hands, letting out a sob as the screams outside get quieter.