Chapter 39 - Taylor

"We need to get into the supermart

"We need to get into the supermart." The same man who briefly argued with Hendricks states. This time everyone is less heated, mostly because most of us were in shock or grieving. Not all of us are close, but trauma bonding is a thing. When Heather started turning and had to be put down, Beth had gotten tears in her eyes. Others were in shock, and some were even crying. Jeff wasn't fairing much better. It's only been a few hours since they've gotten back.

Hendricks looks over to the man, fury in his gaze. The other man, Kirk I had learned, didn't back down he just squared his shoulders. "We have gone through all of the closest houses, how many more do we have until we run out?"

I guess that was one of the cons of living in a small town. Most of the houses are single-family homes, and not a lot of people stockpiled food. At this point, all fresh produce was pretty much gone. Then what dried or canned food we found, didn't last long because as mentioned before, there's 36 of us.

"We started a garden." Jessica and Jason's mother - Abigail - mentions. Her shoulders were down, looking down at her hands. I believe she and Heather were somewhat close.

"The garden won't produce for another week or two, then when it does it won't be nearly enough," Kirk said. He wasn't wrong. Well get radishes, lettuce, and spinach soon, but the rest will take a long time.

We had gathered a whole bunch of bags of dirt and compost, then made quick above-ground beds in the back of the parking lot. We wanted to expand it farther, we just needed more dirt and seeds. You know where has all of that? Piggly wiggly.

I wanted to be on Hendrick's side of this, but Kirk was right. We needed all the things that the store had, I just didn't know how we were supposed to get the zombies out of it. Then we had to worry about navigating it while it was pitch black inside. We could use grenades, we had a few of them, but then we would have to worry about blowing up something important. Fire had the same problems. Effective but hard to control.

"We are not having this conversation right now." Hendricks shakes his head at Kirk.

"And why not?" He shoots back, not backing down this time. "Why do we have to continue to listen to you? Why can't we vote on it?"

"Because of that." Hendricks pointed out to the garage, where Jeff still was with Beth and Reid. Reid would do what he had to if Jeff started turning, Beth was there to see if he would pull around like I had. The thing is, I hadn't started getting sick until eight or so hours after being bitten. Jeff had started showing signs of being sick almost as soon as they were brought in.

"We can't continue to do things like what you just did," Hendricks added. "We are not ready for more than just houses and small buildings."

"We will never be ready." Kirk motions around himself. I narrowed my eyes at him. Sure, not all of us had cop training, but a lot of us had proven to be decent shots on slow-moving targets. I had even been teaching some of the people around here how to use a bow. "We need to just figure it out and do it."

A scoff escapes me before I could stop it. Kirk's irritation whips over to me. Hendricks crosses his arms over his chest, for an older man he had kept up with his fitness. He's built like a linebacker, with wide shoulders, large arms, and an average height for a man. He was pretty intimidating. "We would need a plan," Hendricks said simply. "We need time for everyone to be comfortable with weapons, to get everyone in shape. Because we will need everyone we can get to clear out that store."

I raise my brows at Kirk who was still staring daggers at me. Like I'm the reason for this. He turns his head back to Hendricks, then looks around. No one was taking sides, everyone was just here to watch and listen, Kirk didn't seem to like that. I could see his hands tighten at his sides, his body tightening. I've seen enough guys having temper tantrums to know where this was going. "Starting a physical fight won't change his or any of our minds."

Again his head whips over to me, I purposefully put my hand on my knife. His face gets red with anger, I shake my head slowly at him. "You start a fight with me, I won't play fair."

Honestly, at first, my thought was that I didn't want to hurt another living person, but I've killed someone already. And in that moment I realized I'd do it again. If he was stupid enough to start throwing fists, it wouldn't be a fair fight for me. He had four inches and at least fifty pounds on me, so I'd use a knife or a gun. I'd finish the fight as fast as I could by any means.

"That's enough!" Hendricks barks out, making Kirk and I both jump. "You." He points to Kirk. "Go upstairs, keep watch while we figure shit out."

Kirk starts to protest but Hendricks makes a cutting motion. "No Kirk, one more thing and you can fucking leave."

That made him stop, lose all of his fight and his face goes white. Hendricks hadn't threatened to throw anyone out before, this was a first and by the look on his face, he was completely serious.