Chapter 36 - Taylor

Three more nights pass, I had gone out yesterday and Hendricks wouldn't let me go back out today

Three more nights pass, I had gone out yesterday and Hendricks wouldn't let me go back out today. Sure I had come back covered in blood, but it was because I had killed a bunch of zombies that had somehow gotten stuck behind a fence of someone's house. They had been just sitting there pressed up to the fence like easy pickings. I wasn't going to waste the arrows. Who knew that they would have so much blood left in them?

I was on house arrest for the next day or two. He was lucky I had found an atlas. I had my parent's address book out on the table while trying to find the right page for the city I needed in Texas. I didn't want to go all the way to Texas, but I would if I had to. It would be nice to have an idea of where I had to go so I didn't have to lug around a ten pound book with me.

I only vaguely notice when someone sits next to me at the table. A moment passes where I think I finally find the city I need when a male voice asks. "Planning a road trip?"

His voice has a southern drawl, that's what makes me look up to him. I was surprised to see one of the police officers, he had cleaned up well from when we rescued them. His face is smooth, deep brown eyes seemed to study me intently. I had a feeling that's always how he looked. It's the cop look, my dad always seemed to always be examining everything.

"Not yet," I said to answer his question. He then dips his chin down to the atlas.

"May I see it? I'm from Texas and I know the place well." I give him a nod and hand over the atlas, then the address book.

"I'm looking for this address." I point to Adam's address, he glances at it then to the atlas, then flips a page. I guess I hadn't found the page then.

"It's right next to Fredericksburg, a decent-sized farm town I believe." He turns the atlas around to me and points. He was right. I scrutinize the page, trying to make out whatever I can from it. But let's be real, looking at maps sucks, you can't tell much from them.

"Thanks.."

"Reid." He said with a nod. "It's nice to finally properly meet you, Taylor."

He even holds out his hand, so to be polite, I take it and shake his hand. It's crazy to think I've been here in this building with so many people and I still didn't know half of them. I really only stuck around a few people, or I was gone completely.

"Are you planning to go out again?"

"Not today, Hendricks said I've done enough for a while." That was the short version of what he said. I know he appreciated everything I've done, but the others were getting their strength back and he wanted to get groups together to go out.

"Well," he starts with a smile. Was he being friendly or flirty? I could never tell, Cici was the one to always tell me when someone was hitting on me. "I know a lot of the guys, including me, would feel better with you going out with us."

"Oh?" I ask, that caught me off guard. I'm just a teenager, with no real training like the cops. I really only had one advantage, and that only affected me.

Reid nods, and his smile turns soft and friendly. "Things have changed a lot, but you've shown that you're caring and helpful. In times like this, we need that, it helps people's morale more than you could imagine."

That.. made me feel kind of bad. I had been avoiding talking to people, I've been rude. Mentally shaking myself I return his smile. Maybe if I tried to make friends I wouldn't feel as lonely, as sad. Cici and my mom would encourage me to be more social, my dad would only support whatever I wanted. Right now, I just wanted someone to talk to.