Chapter 26 - Reid

Last night when I was supposed to get off of my shift, I called a divorce attorney, setting up a meeting for a week from now

Last night when I was supposed to get off of my shift, I called a divorce attorney, setting up a meeting for a week from now. I then offered to take the night shift for work. Only getting a short nap in my car before heading back in. I had paperwork to do anyway. It felt like eyes were on me as I worked all night, I think everyone could tell something was wrong. And they were completely right. My life had just crumbled and I was avoiding going home and even avoiding Dawn's phone calls. I just messaged her to let her know I was alive, and that I was working overtime.

I was now waiting for her to leave for work, then I would drive home to pack a few bags. There was no way I was going to face her yet. I knew I'd start yelling, and I couldn't do that. Even though she doesn't deserve me thinking about her feelings, I still was. As much as I was starting to hate her, I didn't really want to yell at her. I didn't want to fight her, I just wanted a divorce and to move out. She could either pay me for my half of the house, which I knew she didn't have, or she could sell it and give me half. I didn't care what she did because I fully planned on moving into an apartment until I could move back to Texas.

My molars hurt as my teeth grind into each other, and my jaw tight. I was filling my thermos up with however old coffee from the coffee pot. Behind me, the break room door is pushed open so harshly that the door smacks from the wall with a reverberating BOOM.

Turning I see one of the detectives, sweat glistening on his face... and was that blood on his arms? "Stop whatever the fuck you are doing and get out here, there's a fucking blood bath outside."

The five of us in the room do just that, we drop whatever we were doing and rush to the door. Just then I hear shots, followed by a radio going off with panicked instructions from dispatch. I flip on my radio to hear the different panicking voices. The detective turns from the break room and heads left, toward the armory, I and a few others follow behind him.

My heart races in my chest, and I knew my eyes were wide. My adrenaline was spiking and I was getting worked up. Breathe through your nose, out through your mouth. I keep repeating to myself, trying to keep calm. The detective ahead of me unlocks and opens the armory, just throwing open the door, and begins unlocking all of the cages to the big guns.

When he starts handing out the shotguns and M4s without really looking at who he was offering to, I knew it was going to be bad. I accepted a M4 from him then grab a few packed clips, tucking them into my vest after checking to make sure they were full.

Gunshots continued outside, and I think I could hear screaming.

Rushing out of the armory, I head straight for the front of the police station. Everyone around me seemed to be in a rush to leave or enter, I'm not sure where they were going. Everyone just had the same look on their face; Terror.

Swallowing the lump in my throat I try to prepare myself for what I might see outside. I could feel other officers at my back, following behind me. Pushing through the large glass door I get a whole ten feet before I skid to a halt.

The quiet little town square the police station was sat in the middle of was in complete chaos. My mind couldn't even process what I was seeing.

Just, blood, so much blood.