Chapter 8 - Taylor

Kendra, Kyle's mom, stands just inside, half hiding behind the front door

Kendra, Kyle's mom, stands just inside, half hiding behind the front door. I lower my bow, and she ushers us inside slamming the door closed behind us. I hear the locks being placed as I turn around to look around the house. Really, I should know that nothing would be in here, but I had to make sure. It made me feel better.

"Were you the one flashing the light?" Miss May asks Kendra. Miss May had hugged her the second she came in, Kendra was shaking like a leaf.

"Kyle was," Kendra said. I heard a shuffle of feet and turned to see Kyle come out of his room. He's twelve now, just about as tall as his mom which doesn't say much since she's barely above five feet.

"We saw you two yesterday go into Miss May's place," Kyle adds in. His eyes are wide, with fear and curiosity plastered all over his face. Especially when he spots my bow and all the arrows. "Oh cool!"

"Kyle." Kendra scolds him for being too loud and the boy's face gets red with embarrassment.

"Sorry." This time he speaks with a whisper.

I turn to Kendra. "Where's Eric?"

Kendra's mouth turns to a deep frown and I even spot a few tears in her eyes. "He was at work.. he hasn't come home."

Miss May hugs her again, after an awkward minute of Kendra trying to not cry in front of Kyle, and Kyle looking lost, Miss May suggests that they come with us. Even if it's just for a little while, Kendra leaves a note on the counter for Eric, then goes to pack her things. I help Kyle and Miss May helps Kendra after she gathers her things to gather more food and supplies. We'd need all of it for the four of us to last who knows how long. The trek back to my house is quick, because we all just run as soon as we are out of the door.

With doors locked Kendra takes up a spot near the couch and bookcase, a small part of the garbage bags pulled back so she can stare outside. She didn't seem to want to let go of any hope that her husband would make it back. And really, I felt the same about my parents, it's just her husband was so much closer. If he was still alive he could be back at any time. Miss May, being the amazing art teacher she is, has Kyle at the coffee table with an assortment of paints and model planes we brought from their house.

Watching Kendra at the window hurt my heart. Kendra and Eric ever since they moved in a few years ago have been nothing but sweet amazing neighbors. Kendra is a nurse, her husband a firefighter, they met at work. If you let Eric tell you about how they'd meet it would have been described as love at first sight. The way he looked at her gave me hope one day I'd meet someone who would look at me the same way.

Now I wasn't so sure that would be possible.

That hurt my heart even more. I was mourning for my future. I was in college, my first year and I was killing it. I was doing great in my classes, I made friends and I wanted to start dating soon. Education then a serious relationship that leads to marriage and kids. I had wanted kids, but now? Now the dead were walking around. How could anyone want to have kids in this new world, it would be stupid and irresponsible.

Curling up onto the chair in the living room, watching Miss May with Kyle, I mourn silently for what I'll never be able to have.