Chapter 23 - Taylor

When I pull the car up to the firehouse, I notice there's now a chain link fence around the entire parking lot

When I pull the car up to the firehouse, I notice there's now a chain link fence around the entire parking lot. It doesn't look like all of it was set into the ground, some of it was propped up with sandbags. I don't know how well that would hold up long term, but it's a start. Eric is the one that jogs up to the gate, he opens it for me to pull in and I can see the confusion on his face. When I park and step out, his not far behind me.

"Who.." He trails off until I turn to fully face him and he goes slack-jawed.

I shift awkwardly then hold out my arms. "I didn't turn."

"You didn't turn." He repeats me and I nod.

"I still don't feel a hundred percent, but I feel better than I have the past few da... oof." All the air in my lungs is squeezed out of me when Eric hugs me. It's so weird all I can do is pat his back, mostly to try to get him to let up so I can breathe.

Eric lets me go, but his hands stay on my shoulders. "I'm sorry, I keep hugging you, and it's inappropriate. You were just so great with Kyle, we could always count on you. I could count on you, you were there for Kendra and Kyle when I couldn't be."

"Eric we have a problem." I hear Beth's voice coming from behind Eric, he moves aside to turn to her. Her sharp blue eyes land on me, and her hands go to her hips. "Well I'll be damned, you're alive."

"I am."

Her eyes look me over then she looks at Eric. "Chief Hendricks wants to talk to you." Eric squeezes my shoulder before he takes off at a jog back into the firehouse. Beth's hands leave her hips and she motions me to follow. "I'm gonna look at that bite."

"Of course." I had expected someone would check out the bite, to make sure I wasn't lying about it. Even though it had been three days or so, no one knows enough about this virus. I'm taken back into the bathroom, where I remove my bag, quiver, and jacket. After I unbutton and roll up my sleeve, Beth takes over, unwrapping the wrap I put on then removes the gauze.

Her brows furrow. "It's healing extremely well."

"That's what I thought," I tell her and she nods. She grabs a few things from the med-kit, she takes out a wipe. Her cleaning and re-wrapping takes half the time it took me to do. I hear people's footsteps rushing by outside of the bathroom and I look to Beth. "What's going on?"

"We got into contact with the police station." She answers, taping up the wrap, and nods at it. I let my sleeve fall down and button my shirt. "The police station was surrounded, we didn't think anyone was alive inside."

"But there are."

"Yes, they managed to get a few supplies and locked themselves into the cell block." She packs up her med kit, and she then motions for me to follow. I quickly pull on my jacket and then grab my things from the counter. "They will probably need people to help get them out."

I have to juggle to get my quiver on and to hold all my things. My backpack is on by the time we reach the door to outside. Chaos is what's going on outside, there's a group of zombies at the fence, maybe ten of them. Two of the firefighters have wooden planks they are using to support the fence. There's another firefighter, the chef, using a knife to stab the zombies when they are pressed up against the fence. I pull my knife out of my holder and rush forward next to Hendricks. My knife meets the temple of one of the dead, I pull my knife back as it drops.

"Well, I'll be damned." I look over to see Hendricks looking at me, brows up. "You good?"

"I wouldn't be here if I wasn't," I tell him and he nods, turning back to the fence he strikes out at a zombie, and it drops.

"Good to see you back then." He grunts as he strikes forward, his knife going into the temple of a zombie. He pulls it back and the zombie drops like a sack of potatoes. "Let's get rid of these assholes then talk about the police station."

"You want me to go?" I ask him, I was going to insist I go anyway. Even though my nerves don't want me to, I felt like I needed to.

"I take it your immune." Hendrick stabs another zombie, this time in the eye. The noise it makes, makes my stomach cramp up uncomfortably. I have to take a deep breath before I strike out at the next one. "Eric and Kendra had told us that you were a great shot, ex-track runner, and smart. You and a few of the guys will go."

"I only ran track for two years in high school," I tell him, but he doesn't answer me back. He just focuses on the dead in front of us.