Chapter 11 - Taylor

I had decided to just get it over with

I had decided to just get it over with. To just go out as soon as the sun started to come up because if I waited I would chicken out. Sure if I didn't go out we would be fine, maybe, but I wanted more arrows. I didn't want to use all my good arrows and chance losing them, at least yet. I was clinging to them, my dad had them made just for me, and thinking about losing one hurt me. So I stick my wooden arrows in my backpack, they poke out at a different angle than my carbon ones, allowing me to grab blindly.

Our neighborhood is on the northeast side of the town, then there are two schools separating our neighborhood from the rest of our small town. To the north and south there's just a ton of farm fields, to the east there's a good chunk of forest. The firehouse is along the south side of the town, only a five-minute drive but there is a lot between my house and there. I had put on my heavy-duty boots, ones I didn't wear often but my dad had insisted I have them in my closet. Black leggings, a comfortable t-shirt, and a light jacket I zip up halfway. My quiver of carbon arrows rests on my back, and my mom's hiking bag is on top of it, I had put the strap on around my waist. I didn't want it falling off of my shoulders if I had to run, plus it would hold my quiver more securely to my back. And for a touch of added security, I put the big hunting knife in the side of my boot, the handle just barely peeking out at the top. Hopefully, it won't fall out.

With my favorite beanie on my head, my bag packed with all the basics, and my bow in hand I head out with just a note left on the coffee table. I didn't want anything to stop me from going out, because it wouldn't take much for me to stay in the house.

Walking outside alone in the early morning made my heart rate go up. I tried taking calm slow breaths as I walked down to the sidewalk in the front of my house. I could have taken my moms minivan, but the way the zombies followed after the loud sirens from that car. I didn't want to chance bringing zombies around the house so I decided to drive around. Instead, I turn left, towards Ms. Dowry's. Ms. Dowry's is the last on the street, so I turn right. I kept to the middle of the road. Some houses had too many trees that shrouded the yards with too much shadow this early in the morning. I didn't want to be caught off guard.

Keeping an eye out for cars, I run to any that are in the street, there are only a few. Two were bloody on the inside, almost like someone exploded in them, those I didn't bother to look into. The other one, there weren't any keys, even when I opened the door and got in to check between the seats, and the visor. Nothing. I then tried a few cars parked in driveways, just in the off chance the keys were in them, and nope. I didn't want to go inside the houses to check, it would take a lot of time. So I continued down the road, all the way between the two schools that looked pretty empty. Miss May had told me that most kids didn't even show up that day, so they had a half day. When Miss May had walked home, few people were left at the school.

I still stayed in the street, there were a few cars in either parking lot. I didn't want to chance to go near the large buildings. Turning left, I go down the road with more houses to my right, the bigger of the two schools looming to my left. At this point, my anxiety is at an all-time high, so I speed walk to the cars in the street.

Rounding on a little blue Mazda I peek into the driver seat and bite my tongue holding back a scream that wanted to break out. Stumbling back the zombie grabs hold of the window that's rolled down halfway. The sound of clinking stops me from running the other way, then there's a jingle. Keys hit the pavement just outside of the car door. I grimace, clutching one of my arrows in my hand. I take a few steps forward. My tongue hurt from where I was still biting it, and I could taste a bit of copper in my mouth.

The zombie gets a little more animated when I step closer, I lift my arrow in my fist and jab it into her face. To my dismay I managed to hit her right in the eyeball, the squelching noise made my stomach churn. I pull the wooden arrow out, take one look at it and drop it to the side. Ain't no way I'm carrying it around now. I grab the keys off of the ground and then look around, there are a few zombies around. A few near houses, a few near the baseball field that's close to the school. If any came at me, I would have time to line up a shot.

Grabbing the door handle I open the door and the zombie's body tumbles out as I jump back. I grab the back of her shirt and drag her a few feet from the car before I check to ensure there aren't more zombies in it. When the coast is clear I put my bow in the passenger seat and settle into the driver seat. The small car isn't what I'd choose for the zombie apocalypse but it'll work for now.