Chapter 3 - Taylor

I had managed to convince Miss May to get into the shower, giving her some of my mom's clothes

I had managed to convince Miss May to get into the shower, giving her some of my mom's clothes. She couldn't stay in soiled clothing, I don't know how the virus spread and it felt better safe than sorry. I had taken another wooden arrow in my bow and shot it across the street at the neighbors house. The neighbors with five different wind chimes on the porch, the metal tip of my arrow hitting one made a very loud high pitched ring. It drew away the zombie from the front of the door. It also drew in four others.

At least an hour later with Miss May cleaned and in new clothes I heard sirens. It had to have been an ambulance or police car, it drove down the street nearby and the zombies took off at a rushed stumbling walk towards it. At least that helped a little bit.

Miss May had taken a spot on my bed, staring at her hands and I gave her space to process whatever she was thinking. I didn't know how to help her, because I was trying to keep thoughts out of my own head. My parents, my friends from school, my neighbors.. if I thought too deeply about them I would break down. I'd break down then I'd want to go out to find them, to help. Looking down at my own hands, both with specialized gloves made for archery. I debated on if I could. I could go in and shoot the zombies with my bow, moving targets weren't a problem for me. I could even shoot well with a gun if I needed to.

If I was rushed by multiple of the zombies though, I don't think I'd make it. I'm not a strong person, I can run - I did a few years in track - but I didn't have much upper body strength. Just enough to pull back the string of a bow.

"Can I have something to drink?" Miss May asks. I look up to where she sits and I see her nod to the pile of drinks that were previously in my mini-fridge.

"Of course, drink whatever you want." I probably should too, I mean when was the last time I drank something? After Miss May grabs a drink of choice I grab an energy drink. Did I need the caffeine? No. But as I open it and take a sip, the familiar fruity tang calms my nerves a little.

"Are your parents around?" Miss May asks and I shake my head.

"They were visiting my grandparents, I only stayed because I had a paper due." I look down to the mess of papers on my floor in front of my desk. I replayed what my dad had said to me. Get his gun, put the bookcase in front of the front window, they would come here if they could but.. something about an uncle? My mom only had a sister, her husband had died a few years ago in an accident. My dad does have a much older brother, half brother I believe. I had only met him and his wife once, at my paternal grandpa's funeral. They seemed nice but my dad and him, they weren't angry at each other, they were just -indifferent.

I knew he had lived in Texas, I'm not sure exactly where in Texas and that was a problem, a huge problem. Texas was a huge fucking state, if I had to go all the way there how would I find it?

"You should get a bag ready." Miss May says, I look back up to her with a question on my face. She explains. "A bag with toiletries, extra clothes, food, a can opener, fire starting.. Do you have a hiking bag?"

"My mom does." I say, my mind feeling like the gears are finally turning. Of course I should have a to go bag ready, if something happened I needed to be able to grab all the stuff I would need and run. I stand up quickly. "I'll be right back."

My mom was an avid hiker, whenever she had time she would go out with a group of friends. She had tried to get me and dad to go, but we would have rather gone to the range or fishing. Once again I find myself in my parents room, in their closet I shift things around until I find my moms navy blue hiking bag. It's not one of those extremely large bags, but it is big enough for there to be a strap that goes around your waist.

Taking it to my parents bed I open the bag and begin taking things out to get my bearings. First thing on the top are moms sunglasses in a case, I toss those aside, I had my own if I needed them. Next was a smaller bag. When I open it I find a lighter, a travel sized toothpaste and a new short tooth brush still in the package. Mom was really insistent on dental hygiene. There's also a small bottle of sunscreen, a small flashlight and a small pocket knife. I zip the bag back up, putting it to the side, I'd add it back once finished going through the hiking bag.

All in all I got that little bag of goodies, a decent sized first aid kit, a water filter, a thin rain poncho, one of those tin foil looking blankets, a bigger flash light with a hand crank on the side, and another small bag with a bar of soap, small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and other bathroom supplies. I know mom had a bunch of snacks downstairs she would also put in her bag before hiking, along with her huge water bottle that fit snug in the side pocket of the backpack.

When I get back to my room Miss May is now at the window, looking out onto the street with streaks of tears going down her face. It breaks my heart and puts a lump in my throat to see this once cheery woman so sad and shell shocked. I felt bad for her, I felt bad for those people outside, but I couldn't think about myself. If I did I don't know if I'd be able to dig myself out of that sadness. So like any good teenager, I shove down my emotions to the best of my ability and go to console the adult in my life.