Chapter 21 - Taylor

My body shivers uncontrollably

My body shivers uncontrollably. The couch I'm laying on is not as soft as I would like, even with the pillows and blankets I found, which don't seem to help much. My head pounds, I'm not sure if it's from the infection, or from the amount of drinking I did last night.

Wait, I frown as I look out the large front window. I hadn't covered them, I had chosen a farmhouse set pretty far back from the main road. I was able to see the pinks and oranges slowly rising up from the trees. I didn't die in my sleep as I had planned to, and now I felt too sick to drink anymore to force myself out. Slowly sitting up I push the heavy blanket off of me, immediately missing the cocoon of warmth. When I try to stand, I stumble and fall to my knees, pain shooting up my legs to the point my teeth hurt. I let out a shuttering breath, grab the arm of the couch and pull myself up. It takes a few try's to move a few feet, and I have to use the furniture and the walls to move across the living room.

I manage to get into the master bedroom, the only bathroom down here is connected to it. I move towards the bathroom but something shiny catches my eye. My curiosity drives me a few feet more to the nightstand, where I find a shiny new watch. I grasp it in my hand and take it with me to the bathroom, my bladder and stomach scream at me for relief. After I use the toilet I find that it does flush, but when I get to the sink and turn it on, it's ice cold. I lean my elbows onto the counter over the running sink to wait to see if it warms up or not. The watch ticking pulls my attention so I grab it. It's a pretty silver piece with a sapphire blue background. It shows the time, 6 am, and has the date, which makes me frown.

Saturday is when I saved Miss May, a few days in the house and what I thought was one night here. No, I had fallen asleep for a full night and day. I don't know how I didn't pee my pants being out that long. I clasp the watch to my wrist, it jingles a little so I move it to the middle of my forearm. I then use the cold water to wash off my face, then dig around in the medicine cabinet to find Advil. I take three, because why not at this point? Even with my quick face wash, I feel disgusting, but I was so not taking an ice cold shower when I can barely hold myself up. Plus the last thing I needed was to change into a zombie while naked.

When I get to the couch I drop onto it and frown. How long did it take to turn into a zombie anyone.. unless.

I press my hand to my throat, feeling it tighten in panic. I wait a second without breathing and feel my pulse. I heave out a breath and slump forward, I don't think zombies had pulses, I haven't gotten close enough to check. I don't think they did, I don't think they even breathed, other than to let out moans and groans. Just in case I look down at my hands, they looked normal, a little pale but rather normal. I unbutton the sleeve of my shirt and roll it up. The wrap comes off easily, and the gauze makes me grit my teeth as I pull it off and I check the bite mark.

It defiantly looks like someone bit me, intending to take a chunk out but didn't get that far. Beth the medic had put some small tape like things on the worse of it, bringing the skin together. And it looked gross. Not infected gross, no. It's just crusted with dried blood, and bright red with a fresh scab over it, and my frown deepens. I had seen zombies with bite marks, they looked disgusting, with black in the small veins leading out from it. Mine didn't have a hint of black or even yellow puss that would indicate a regular infection.

I still don't feel great, but there's a hollow feeling in my stomach. I felt sick before, now I was about to get hunger cramps. There are still some things spread out on the coffee table and I grab a bag of chips, not perfect but when I bite into a crispy salty chip - I let out a moan. The bag is gone far too fast and I move to something else, a box of granola, sweet and crunchy, I have to pop open a new bottle of water to wash it down. I get through a good portion of the box before I decide I want something different.

This time when I get up from the couch, I sway a little but I don't fall. The kitchen is right off of the living room, it's small but has a large pantry in the back. I open the fridge and find that it's cool, but not cold. I grab the semi-chilled drinks but leave the rest. Then I move to the cabinets, picking out all the decent canned foods and I open a can of chicken and dumplings, the only thing out of this haul I could stomach to eat cold. There is a fireplace but it's covered in decorations and looks like it hasn't been used in a while. I didn't want to chance to start a house fire.

When I polish off the can I finally sit back down onto the couch. I still felt a little peckish, but it was enough for now. Grabbing my bag I pull out the little pack of gauze and bandage wrap Beth sent me off with. I didn't understand why she gave it to me, maybe she just had hope I'd need it.

And as every minute that passed where I didn't feel any worse, in fact, I started to feel a little better. I begin to wonder myself. Maybe it's just the Advil helping my symptoms, maybe, just maybe it's something else.