Chapter 9 - Taylor

Two days

Two days. We waited in the house for two more days, playing board games and card games together, making meals, and baking desserts. I did have to kill a few zombies that had wandered onto our street, and I started to worry about my wooden arrow stock. Sure I had two dozen to start, but I had already gone through half of them. All our other supplies were going strong, the electricity was thankfully still running. It had crossed my mind to go to one of the shops I got arrows at, most of those shops not only carried ammo, they typically had camping gear. Those lanterns with solar panels to charge themselves would be extremely handy for having later on.

My phone in my hand is a comfort at this point. Rolling it around in my hand, feeling the case's texture and the screen's smoothness. Then turning it on to scroll through my last text messages with friends, then to my photos. I wondered what my friends were doing, that maybe I should have gone after them. The guilt was eating me up inside as I sat in my house, with food and some safety. I keep thinking maybe I should go out and see if any of them are still out there and if they need help. Then seeing a zombie walk onto the street freaks me out enough to stay inside.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Miss May comes to sit with me in the living room. Kyle was upstairs playing on my computer, and Kendra was in the kitchen baking something. She had been doing a lot of that.

I frown at Miss May and drop my phone onto my lap. "Thinking mostly about what's happening, about my friends, and I think I'm going stir crazy."

"It's too dangerous to go outside, unless absolutely necessary." Miss May says and I heave a sigh at that.

"I know, I know." Fiddling with the edge of my phone I flip-flop it around. "I'm terrified about going out there, but I also just really want to go and see. I want to see if there are more people alive and hiding. Also, at some point, I'll need more arrows, and we'll need more supplies."

Miss May gives me a solemn nod, looking out to where the archway to the kitchen is, she says. "Kendra doesn't know how to shoot a gun. She's strong from being a nurse for years but I'm not sure if she could manage to kill one of those things."

"None of us have the physical strength."

She nods in agreement. "Between Kendra and I, I think we could hold down the house. If there is an emergency, I can shoot."

"Between you and Kendra?" I ask, and quite frankly I don't like where this is going.

"If we need more supplies, or you need more arrows, I won't be able to go with you. Kendra wouldn't go with you because she can't fight, and then there's Kyle." So I basically would be forced to go alone. Miss May puts a hand on mine, the one now gripping my phone tightly. "I'll help you with things close by, like the other houses in the neighborhood. I'm just hesitant to leave Kendra and Kyle alone."

I didn't want to go out alone, but what choice was there really? I hate to admit that Miss May was right on this but I still didn't want to think about it yet. "Maybe we can go out a few times first. Ms. Dowry down the street always has a big garden every year, think she's planted anything?"

"If not we can see if there are any seeds, we may need them in the future." I nod at that, if we were here or move to somewhere new with more people we could use seeds. In all the zombie movies and shows I've seen, food is the biggest problem. Other than the actual zombies of course.

"I'm also going stir crazy." Miss May admits. "Would you like to go out? Just to the next house to see what our neighbors left behind?"

I felt a little like a child, asking if I wanted to go to the park because I was cranky. I guess it wasn't far off though, I was cranky, depressed, and felt stiff being in this house for so long. After I nod, she pats my hand and leaves me in the living room, to the kitchen. Probably to tell Kendra our plan of going out to some of the neighbor's houses. Honestly, I didn't want to go out with the zombies, but someone had to. I'd take up Miss May's offer to go with me to the houses around us, to try to build up my courage to go alone.

I could shoot, with my bow and a gun. I could jog long distances, and sprint for a mile if I had to, I had always been a good runner. I am light on my feet, I can climb a fence if I had to. I can do this because I had no other option. If I don't do it now, I will probably still have to do it later.