Chapter 2 - Taylor

The bookcase was hard to move while trying to keep the noise down but I somehow managed to do it

The bookcase was hard to move while trying to keep the noise down but I somehow managed to do it. I had also moved the dining table along the back door, a large sliding glass door. In an emergency I could crawl over or under it and out of the door, but the table gave me a little security. I had gathered all the canned food I liked and brought it up to my room, along with some things from the kitchen fridge I shoved into my mini fridge tossing my drinks to the side. I don't know how long the electricity will last so I will try to eat it first. I also wanted to limit my time downstairs, in case something or someone was looking into house windows.

I locked myself in my room, moving my desk chair in front of the door. It wasn't really that heavy but it would at least give me a warning if someone was trying to get in.

Also I had something else, a bunch of wooden arrow supplies. It was a hobby my dad and I had. We would make the arrows and when we'd go to the range I'd get to use a variety of bows with the homemade arrows. I loved to experiment with what wood or feather type worked the best. Now I am making them so I can shoot them out of my window without wasting my carbon ones. Though it is not suggested to use wooden arrows with a compound bow, they can shatter and fly out hitting you or the people around you. Making wooden arrows to shoot was stupid, but I was willing to take the chance so I can use them to shoot the wandering zombies.

I had quickly realized what they were. From the news reports the past week of people getting a 'rabies like virus', to 'people being extremely aggressive'. I even saw one that called the people zombies. I didn't believe them. I thought - hoped - it was just a slow news week and they were blowing it out of proportion. Turns out I was very, very wrong.

Now all I could think about was how there was nothing but silence. I sat on my knees with all my arrow building supplies next to me, while I stared out the open window.

After a few minutes of assembling arrows I hear something down the street. I slide up to the window, grasping the ledge and peering out trying to hide myself. I just needed to know exactly what was going on. And that noise, it wasn't zombies walking around moaning and groaning. Once I can see a person running they slide to a stop, the zombies almost stop at the same moment before turning to the person. The person I recognize as my old art teacher, Miss May who lived down the street.

The bow is awkward as I angle it out of the window and I grab one of my newly made wooden arrows. I notch it just as the group of three start towards Miss May at a brisk walk. She was stunned, mouth hanging open and eyes wide. She also had a considerable amount of blood on her colorful patchwork sweater. I shouldn't draw attention to myself, but shit. I couldn't let Miss May die right in front of me. Letting out a breath, I let an arrow fly, it hits its target easily. One zombie falls with an arrow sticking straight out of the back of its head. I'm glad dad had insisted on metal tips for the wooden arrows.

"Miss May!" I shout quickly from my window. I grab and notch another one.

"Taylor?" She questions looking up just to see me let the second one fly.

"I'll meet you at the front door, you can outrun it."

I stick around to see her nod her head repeatedly before she starts moving. I toss my bow on my bed, push my chair out of the way and take off down the stairs. The gun and knife are odd weights on my hips as I move. My feet thump on the floor and my legs tense from impact before I use my momentum to launch myself to the front door. A shadow of someone is at the front door a second before I get to it, the frosted glass blurring who it is. The colors though still mostly come through, letting me know it's Miss May.

The door is opened and closed just as a body hits it. I click the lock closed and the dead bolt before backing away.

"Oh Taylor." Miss May says pacing to the back of the living room. Her eyes are still wide, arms hugging to herself. "I was leaving the school, I normally walk on nice days.."

We only lived about a five to ten minute walk from the high school, I always noticed Miss May would walk with a group of teens that lived around the area. Hell, I was one of those kids just a few years ago. "Miss May."

She seemed shocked that I was there, with her eyes snapping to me. There's a loud thud against the door and we both jump. I shake my head and hold my hand up to the stairs.

"Let's go upstairs, are you hurt?" I asked her, she had taken a few steps towards the stairs before giving me a confused look. I motion down to her top. "You have a lot of blood on you."

She holds out her arms, like she didn't remember that she had blood on her. Her hands, arms and chest are splattered in it. Her hands go gingerly to her chest where she touches the splotches, the sweater sticks to her hands as she pulls away. "Not mine." Her voice breaks and I feel a knot in my chest. "Not my blood."