Chapter 37 - Shane

My water and food rations lasted two weeks

My water and food rations lasted two weeks. Sure I still had some random food items, but I was also out of toilet paper and getting low on soap. I could handle smelling like ass, but it didn't mean I wanted to. With my rifle thrown over my shoulder, hanging by its strap I also have my pistol on my hip and a large knife on the other hip. My hand continued to hover over the knife as I moved through the forest on the outskirts of the edge of the small town. The town I had grown used to going into because I hated the larger city only thirty minutes away from here.

I sit and wait, it's something I'm good at. Just waiting and observing, it's what makes me a great hunter. My eyes follow a group of deadheads, they were in a group of six, ambling towards any little sound that caught their attention. A can blowing in the wind clinking down the street, or something breaking from God knows what. The group shamble in circles.

There are a few other's wandering around, but this is the biggest group I have found so far.

Suddenly there's a loud pop, followed by others, followed by screaming. Gritting my teeth as I sit and watch the deadheads amble off towards the gunshots and screaming. I debate only for a moment on helping them, then shake my head at myself. No, right now I was being selfish. I wasn't going to risk myself for strangers. If they had kids, I might rethink that, but I wasn't planning on getting close enough to find out. Sitting my ass back on my hunches I wait for a few minutes until the screams and shots get farther and I'm sure the zombies in the area had chased after them.

Then I move. Getting up I crouch and walk towards the closest building, a small corner mart. Just what I needed, if it wasn't raided to hell by now. It might have been only two weeks since shit hit the fan but people work fast. Headed to the back door, I tug at it finding it unlocked, that was surprising. I thought most place's back door auto locked. Did that work with no power?

I was unsure. my shoulders ratchet up as I move inside. I let the door slowly shut next to me and I wait, for a sound or movement. I count to thirty before I move past the break room area I had found myself in. The hall just outside is short, a bathroom across the hall and to the left is the mart. It's not that big, but not small like some gas stations can be. It had fruit, which most of was rotting, including the prepackaged meals. They had been without refrigeration for a while. The whole place reeked.

Moving slowly, heel to toe I make myself as silent as I can. I am a paranoid mother fucker, looking over my shoulder and to the windows to see if there was anyone there. Even though I haven't seen anyone. Living or dead. I pull my mostly empty hunting bag off of my back. I had dumped a majority of the contents, leaving the bare minimum for a short run out here. I load up on granola and cereal bars first, packages of nuts and dried fruits follow them behind. Sports drinks, soap, and toilet paper follows until the bag is full.

I move back to the back door, hold it open to watch my surroundings for a moment, then I sprint. I'd sprint until I was halfway home. After I was sure I hadn't been followed I'd make my way home, dump my supply, then go and do it again. I could get another two or three runs done today if my legs could handle it.

The past two weeks had been business as usual for me, for the most part. I didn't have to go to work anymore at the factory, I spent more time fishing at some of my favorite secluded spots. The only hard thing was getting gas for my car until I figured out how to siphon from other cars. Then the power shut off. I'll admit I had the radio on more often, but now there's just been static for three days. The world had gone quiet and I'm not sure what was exactly going on, I only had old news updates and old emergency broadcasts to run off of. I would sit and wait in my home, for I don't know how long. I'd live off of what I could scavenge from the local town and what I could get myself in the forest.

Maybe I'll find some solar panels, I'd just need to figure out how to hook them up. Having a fridge and freezer again would be nice, then I could hunt some big game. Sure I could smoke it, I knew how, but you know, paranoid. I didn't want to chance someone seeing the smoke in the sky, even at night it might be noticeable to someone close enough. I was going to have to figure out how to preserve my food soon.