Chapter 18 - Shane

Just before zombies take over Missouri

The squelching sound of my muddy boots on the concrete garage floor is the only sound here. Well other than my breathing. Bending down I grab the cooler from the ground and set it on the large metal table, then I pop the lid. A dozen largemouth bass sit in half-melted ice, my days catch and the main dish for my next few week's meals. I always tried to hunt and fish for my meat, because it's too fuckin' expensive to buy it. Before I can dig my hands in to grab one of the fish, I hear a car engine. Somethin' beefy driven up the gravel. It's familiar.

Grabbing a rag I wipe down my hands and don't have to wait long for the fancy new Mustang to pull up into my driveway. It would have looked odd to anyone who could see it, the black 'stang with the red racing stripe pulling up to an old withered cabin. 'Withered' being a nice word for the falling apart cabin. The cabin was so old I had to get someone to install better wiring for the electricity. And god, that job was expensive. I'm still making up for it in my savings.

Leaning a hip against the table I watch as Matthew steps out of the car. The only thing we have in common is a similar height. His hair is blond - mine jet black, his face clean shaven - mine I haven't shaved in two days. He's even wearing a neat button-down, suit pants, and shiny black shoes. He stops at the thresh hold of my garage, lifting his no-doubt designer sunglasses to look over the garage, then at myself. "Do you ever check your phone?"

I give him a grunt. "Nah, I only have the fuckin' thing for emergency calls."

Matthew frowns at me, pulling his sunglasses fully off then tucks them in a pocket. "You should, I've been trying to call you for a few days."

"Well, you're here now."

I'm given a scolding look. "You should check the news, something is happening out there."

A snort escapes me. "There's always somethin' happenin' out there."

"I'm being serious." The snappy tone makes me raise my brows at him. He takes a step into my garage and lowers his voice - like anyone out here will hear him. "My boss's have gotten a notice, plans are being made to gather big wigs and put them into safe zones."

My frown deepens, Matthew didn't talk about his job. I don't know if it's something illegal, or some secret spy shit for the CIA. He just doesn't ever talk about it.

At seeing my face he gives me a nod. "Watch the news." He takes his sunglasses out and puts them back on. He takes a few steps towards his care before he says - loudly - over his shoulder. "Stay safe cousin, I'll visit Nana, you don't have to."

I couldn't stop the irritated sound that comes out of my throat. Nana was a senile old bat that lives in a cushy retirement home - thanks to Matthew. She didn't deserve to live there, she was abusive to our parents and in turn me, when my parents died and she took me in as a teenager. Matthew had insisted on that damn place, I refused to have anything to do with her.

I watch the car leave and then turn to my pile of fish. The leather roll with my butchering knives sits, waiting for me to use them. I tap my fingers on the table for a moment before I break and turn to the radio I kept in here. Normally I used it with cassette tapes, this time I turn it on and flip to our local news station.

'Cameron, will you share the new reports from Florida with us?' It's one of the male newscasters, then it switches over to somewhere with a windy background.

'I will Derek, it is a mess down here in Florida, residents are being told to stay indoors.' The female newscaster starts, and I hear a siren faint in the background. They had to be just ripping the live newscast from the TV reporting. 'The National Guard has been called out, residents are only permitted out for work and to get supplies. To anyone who has family members who have been infected, call 911 and leave them somewhere safe and secure. Do not stay with them. The CDC has come out and said people infected become increasingly violent, even if it is family, the infected will attack anyone uninfected. again, do not stay with someone infected, and if you are infected get to your local hospital.'

'Thanks, Cameron.' The radio switches back to Derek, back to no noise in the background. 'We have received reports that the virus has spread to Georgia and Alabama. They are trying to keep it contained, but this virus is fast spreading. If you think you may be infected you are urged to seek out immediate medical attention. Symptoms include dangerously high fever, body chills, vomiting, headaches, fatigue, numbness of limbs.'

I flip off the radio and scratch my neck, nails racking through the stubble that's growing too long. I can't decide if this is being blown out of proportion or not. The radio broadcast I'd normally just brush off, but Matthew came here, he risked telling me a little about his job. And that had me the most worried.