Chapter 27 - Taylor

My tongue presses to the roof of my mouth, trying to stave off the nauseous feeling that was building up in my stomach

My tongue presses to the roof of my mouth, trying to stave off the nauseous feeling that was building up in my stomach. The local police station sat on the main road I had been avoiding. The police station sat near the gun shop, our local small grocery store, and across the street from the clinic. There are a few more shops and gas stations around, making this the place everyone went for supplies and help. There are so many cars blocking the roads, so many bodies both dead-dead and walking around dead. I think a majority of those who had lived in the city were here. I wanted to puke and cry at the sight.

I had to try to block faces out of my mind when I recognized one of my old high school teachers.

 We had moved around to the north of main street, to a large church. The church has a large parking lot separating the building from the zombies on the main street. We figured it would give us a large open view, if the zombies turned toward us we would see it in time to run, or time to prepare to fight.

When we got into the church we quickly realized there were people there. The whole bottom floor was cleared out, and when we searched the church, we found a dozen people huddled in one of the offices on the second floor. They had been drinking tap water from the sink in the bathroom, then eating food that had been donated to the church for the spring drive. That food was almost gone, even the dry goods that I had no idea how they had been eating without a way to cook it up here.

They were still upstairs, but now they had hope. None of the firefighters had wanted to backtrack, leaving the rest of us alone with the hoard. There were only six firefighters with me, all in their full suits, and helmets, and all with the fire axes at the ready. None of them knew how to shoot a bow properly, which is why I was here. A few could shoot guns but that wouldn't help seeing as we only had three guns and very limited ammo. That being said, the best shooter of the group had one of said guns and ammo, just in case.

"You really want to do this?" I ask Hendricks. The older man looked stoic, and calm as he gave me a nod. A gloved hand goes up to his helmet visor and pulled it down over his face, almost covering his face fully from my view.

My pulse picked up and the beating of my heart seemed too loud. Hendricks moves to the line of six firefighters, all of them in a line outside of the front door of the church. The back of the church overlooked the large parking lot. I followed up behind them.

They all stood about three to four feet apart, allowing me to steep between each firefighter. Pulling my bow up, I take a deep breath in and aim for the closest zombie. My fingers let the string loose and in a blink, the zombie drops with an arrow sticking out of its head.

The wall of firefighters doesn't move, but I could see some of their shoulders tense at the sound of the zombie dropping. We had been so quiet, as to get out of the back door of the church without drawing any attention. Now the men in front of me just stand at attention as I pull back the string of my bow with another arrow ready. I let it fly again, and again it hits its mark. Zombies moved so slowly that it was easy as practice. I was just cringing every time one fell to the ground, stirring a few around them. Luckily they didn't notice the men that stood still or me moving behind them.

Two, three, six, ten more down. The men move forward a few feet when given the signal from Hendricks. Realistically I couldn't take down all of them even with all the arrows I had taken from Randy's. And I'm not sure if I was ready to grab them from the downed zombies. The idea of getting that close to a body made bile hit the back of my throat.

But no, Hendricks didn't want a distraction, because we would have to deal with them at some point. I could see not wanting to have this many zombies -it had to be over a hundred- wandering around so close to the firehouse. So I would continue to shoot arrows until I couldn't anymore or until the officers in the police station could come out to help us.

They were stuck in there, a majority of the zombies being around the building. And they had confirmed that they were almost out of ammo. They needed us to push, to clear out at least half then to get them away from the doors so they could open them.