Chapter 12

**Kris’s POV**

I tried to hide my shock but they obviously saw it.

“Do you know her?” Justin asked eagerly. I sighed. I knew there was no point in lying yet I knew I couldn’t tell them the truth. Meggie had been a good friend to me and if she didn’t want them to know she was here, I wouldn’t rat her out. So many things make sense now. I fiddled absentmindedly with a strand of my hair that fell in front of my face.

“Um well I don’t exactly know her but she goes to my school. Quiet type-never really speaking much. She hasn’t been coming to school for the past few days though,” I semi-lied. It wasn’t exactly a lie and yet it wasn’t the truth either. They were nodding their heads, seeming to believe what I had told them.

“What school do you go to?”Asked Max excitedly. I shook my head slowly.

“Sorry but I’m not gonna tell ya that,” I said.

“Why not? Unless you were lying of course.” Chaz said.

“No I wasn’t lying but I believe that people should be able to have a little privacy and if she doesn’t want to see you, I’m not going to tell you where she is.”

“That’s total bulls***. You’re just doing this for the attention aren’t you?” Chaz said nastily. I felt tears prick at the back of my eyes.

“How dare you,” I said quietly, “At least you know she’s okay now and I’m sorry if I won’t rat her out but that’s what I believe is the right thing to do. You have no right to accuse me of anything, you don’t even know me!”

I turned on my heel and marched out of the room, hastily wiping at my eyes, trying to prevent my tears from spilling out. All I heard was silence behind me, which just made me feel worse. They obviously agreed with him or they’d be yelling at him right now. Why did I ditch my best friend for those jerks? Speaking of Meggie, I have to talk to her. Great, now I’m talking to myself. Just great. I took out my phone and sent a text to Meggie telling her to meet me outside her house. For some strange reason I was never allowed to actually see her house. I got into my car and started making my way to Meggie’s house. I noticed a figure waiting by the side of the road, holding their thumb out like a hitch hiker. I was about to speed on by when I recognized the person waiting and grinned instantly.

“Whatcha doing out here Jason?” I asked, still smiling idiotically.

“What do you think? I was looking for a ride obviously,” He said, rolling his eyes.

“Wow, and here I was thinking that you actually wanted to see me.”

“Ha in your dreams.”

“Hey, I’d be nicer to the person driving the car right now. After all, I could just kick you out.”

“But you wouldn’t.” I raised an eyebrow.

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Now seriously, why are you here?”

“Parents were being annoying,” he muttered.

“What’s it about this time?”

“They keep insisting that I go to law school. I wish that I had taken the chance to get out while I could.”

“Why don’t you talk to them?” I suggested. He let out a quick, short laugh.

“Are you kidding me? They won’t listen, they never do. Anyway I was wondering if we could hang out maybe.”

“I can’t right now, I need to go see a friend.” I said regretfully.

“What? I came all this way to find you and you just blow me off for another fried?” He faked being hurt, “I am offended, I thought I actually mattered to you Kris.”