Chapter 4

** Meggie’s POV**

After Justin dropped me off, I ran straight up to my apartment. I smirked as I recalled Justin’s confused expression when he learned where I lived. I unlocked the door, and closed it carefully behind me, locking it again. I walked into my room and saw Jess asleep in her crib and Gina asleep on the couch. I saw Gina’s phone on the table and called her husband, my uncle John, that she was asleep here and would stay the night. I returned the phone to the table and laid down on my bed, immediately falling asleep.

~The Next Morning~

I woke up to the smell of pancakes and sausages. I went into the kitchen to see Gina there, cooking breakfast.

“Good morning sweetie! I got some pancakes and sausages from the supermarket this morning. Even you need to eat something besides cereal sometimes.” Aunt Gina said.

“You didn’t have to” I said awkwardly.

“Nonsense honey. Plus I wanted to, so you better get eating. I already fed Jess since I figured you needed some sleep.”

“Thanks Aunty Gina” I said, and gave her a hug.

“You’re welcome.” She walked over to the stove where the pancakes and sausages were cooking and put them on a plate, which she set in front of me,” Now eat.”

I eagerly dug into the food. It was delicious. She hadn’t been exaggerating when she said I couldn’t just live off cereal, for that was all I had been eating for the past two weeks. Jess had a cold so I had to buy her some medication, which meant that I didn’t enough money to buy other food.

“Now, I’m going to buy you some school supplies today, since school starts tomorrow.” I opened my mouth to object, when she cut me off. “I know you don’t like it when I pay for things for you but I insist. It would make me happy, and you don’t want to deny me my happiness right?” She pleaded with me and I sighed.

“Fine, but can Mikaela come?”

 “Of course. Now, I’m going to go home and get changed. I’ll pick up Mikaela on the way back. I’ll be back here around 12:30 ok?”

“Sure that’s fine” I waved at her as she walked out of the house. I quickly took a shower and put on a green tank top and some jean shorts, pulling my hair into a high ponytail. Even though it was the last day of August and almost September, it was still wicked hot out. I walked over to next door. Our neighbor, Mrs. Prenadt was about 55 years old and her husband died about 7 years ago so I think she likes mine and Jess’s company. I knocked on the door and waited for her to answer it.

“Oh, hi Meggie!” She said, seeming a bit surprised.

“Hi Mrs. Prenadt. Um… I was wondering if you could watch Jess today? My aunt’s forcing me to go shopping with her.”

“Of course. What time should I come over?” I looked at my watch. It had been a birthday present from Gina and I loved it. It was about 12:10 so I told her to come over in about 10 minutes. On my way out I waved to her and said,”Thanks so much!”

“You’re welcome,” she replied. I went back over to my apartment and found Jess awake and crying. I quickly fed her some food and changed her diaper before putting her back into her crib. I ate some cereal and brushed my teeth quickly, finishing just as Gina and Mikaela entered.

“You ready?” Mikaela asked.

“Yeah, just let me get my coat.” I ran to my room and grabbed my coat. When I came back out, I saw that Mrs. Prenadt had arrived.

“We’ll go wait in the car ok?” Gina said and I nodded. They left and I said to Mrs. Prenadt,

“So I just fed Jess and now she’s sleeping so she should be good for awhile. If you need anything, my Aunt’s cell number is on the table.”