Chapter 84 - Aftermath

Start from the beginning

Dressed with cloaks, Jane's black one showcased her importance in their ranks, compared to the men standing behind her, wearing gray ones.

Although I had never personally met them, I got a clear access to their thoughts and found out about their names quickly. Along with Jane, there were Alec, Demetri and Felix.

They don't seem to have lost any of their members. Aro did not exaggerate. - Jane thought, while examining us. "Impressive. I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this mass, intact." She then, said out loud.

"We were lucky." Carlisle answered courteously.

"It appears we missed an entertaining fight." Alec commented with a smirk, before looking at the fire that was still alive. "I see you've done our work for us today."

"Yes. It's not often we're rendered unnecessary." Jane continued. "I'm curious. How many were there ? They left quite a wake of destruction in Seattle."

"Twenty." Carlisle answered.

Behind Jane, Felix and Demetri exchanged looks, silently asking themselves how we managed to take such an important number down with our smaller number.

Jane slightly arched her eyebrow, in surprise, before retrieving her controlled face expression.

"Twenty ?" she asked.

"All brand-new. They were unskilled." Carlisle clarified.

"Then who was their creator ?"

"Her name was Victoria. She had another one with her, no older than a year."

"Who dealt with their creator ?"

"I did." I struggled to answer, my voice hoarse.

Thankfully, none of the guards questioned my lie. The one who actually killed Victoria could never be revealed to them. It was best for me to claim Victoria's death for myself.

"Do you know what was behind it ? It seems like extreme behavior, considering the way you live here." Jane asked again.

"Victoria held a grudge against us, for killing two of of her companions after hunting innocent humans we are familiar with." Carlisle answered.

Jane laughed and the rest of the guards snickered, because of how ridiculous the answer sounded to them. Humans were just food for them. However, hearing this answer from Carlisle they surely might have heard of back in Volterra, they didn't doubt his answer much.

They really are something - Demetri thought.

So much to save insignificant human lives... - Felix kept to himself while rolling his eyes.

"Why am I not surprised ?" Jane answered with no emotion. "It was nice to meet you, Carlisle. Aro hoped that we would get far enough west to see you. He sends his regards."

Carlisle nodded. "I would appreciate it if you would convey mine to him."

"Of course. Well, until we meet again..." Jane, then turned to her own clan. "Come."

Hearing her order, the three guards and Jane herself disappeared and so did I.

~~

Once I arrived at Aiyanna's house, I saw some members of the pack waiting inside while some paced outside. Their worry was as loud as ours, although they vocalized it more than we did. The familiarity with my gift has made my family more silent in situations like these, knowing perfectly that I would add their worry to mine unconsciously.