Chapter 68 - Clans

Aiyanna

Today was the big day.

Contrarily to the Cullens, the pack was complete. Each of us had different roles and positions across our territory. It was certainly the case for the Cullens as well. And Alice, who wasn't here, had the specific role to have Bella out of town for tonight.

I last saw Alice last evening, when she dropped me off after our shopping spree in Portland. This little outing had been both successful yet tiring. I didn't like walking around stores for hours. I was the type to go straight for what I needed, which was why I had been the first one being done choosing the necessary.

Of course, I also came back home with stuff Alice added to my cart and forced me to try on. And I had to say that Alice had a great eye for good stuff.

The contrast of atmosphere between last night and tonight was palpable.

The Cullens were positioned near the border of their land, because the only way for Victoria to escape them would be to jump on the other side of the border.

All we needed, was the signal.

Both Embry and Jared, who had more developped hearing or sight senses were on alert, while Edward was waiting to hear Victoria's thoughts.

"The scents though..." Quil let his thoughts slip.

"Silence." Sam ordered.

"La Push." Edward signaled to his family right when the pack started taking off at full speed after Jared saw Victoria come through the Quileute reservation.

Ricky quickly caught up with Jared along with Sam, Jacob, Leah and I. Through her training, Leah had shown great speed despite her smaller size. If Leah moved faster, Ricky moved further.

Despite the dark surroundings, Victoria was clearly visible either through the images sent by Jared or in reality.

Just when Ricky was closing in on her, Victoria jumped on the other side of the border where the Cullens were moving close to as well.

"Spread out along the line !" I told the pack, in hopes that Victoria would cross back over.

It was frustrating to be so close yet so far. The river acted as a clear distinction of our two lands.

I didn't know for how long we had to hunt Victoria at a distance, but as minutes passed, it stirred up the desire to jump over the river in some of our members.

"Nobody is breaking the treaty." Sam warned them.

While keeping both an eye on where we were going and on Victoria from the other side of the border, we could see Emmett, Jasper and Edward finally running closer to her.

Now that I could clearly distinguish their movements despite their speed, I realized how different their strides were. Emmett's steps were the loudest which made him look scarier than the other two.

Only a few meters.

Jasper was running the closest to Victoria. Once at a close distance, his hand was only a few centimeters before grabbing her shoulder, but as if she had a gift for evasion, Victoria slipped through his fingers and crossed over our land again.

I heard Jasper grunt as he stopped himself from jumping to our side, frustrated by his inability to do so.

"She'll get away !" Esme exclaimed.

"No, she won't !" Jasper grunted, catching up with Edward whose speed matched with mine.

Emmett's loud footsteps showed that he wasn't that far either.