Chapter 82 - Compromise

Aiyanna

I have been pacing back and forth in the woods, both in wolf and human forms to continue on my mission to make a trail with my scent in a line that would transect the clearing where the Cullens, the pack and I would be waiting for the newborns.

I followed carefully the way Alice had indicated they would be taking. The last thing we wanted was for them to take a different route and reach town where they would be doing the same thing they've been doing in Seattle so far : killing.

I was pretty invested in my task. From touching trees and ferns, I also felt generous and made a cut in my finger to let traces of blood here and there. Considering their obvious aversion to my scent, it would be more like a poison than a treat for them.

The cut healed quickly though, maybe a little too much for me to do much with it. Therefore, I stucked to the original plan and kept pacing while dragging my, now, dry fingers over tree trunks and everything in my path.

When the sun was all set and once I felt satisfied enough with what I did, I took place in the open grass of the baseball field. The second part of the plan was to stay the night. It would accentuate my scent around the clearing.

Thankfully, I wasn't sensitive to the changes of temperatures, so I didn't mind one bit. Besides, during a certain time I wasn't proud of today, I got used to sleeping outside.

I found a boulder which didn't look uncomfortable to sit on and settled myself on it. I waited, tapping my fingers on my thighs in a rythm I made up, wondering what time it was and how long I would stay alone.

Just a few minutes. Maybe an hour or so...

Although I didn't mind the solitude, I knew he wouldn't miss any opportunity to pull me out of it.

Until this day, it still felt surreal that Edward liberately chose me over the women he's encountered in his lifetime. And as if to officialise his choice, I was getting married to the Edward Cullen who has been making heads turn his way for over a century.

As if my brain was finally processing what was happening, I found myself covering my face with my hands, squealing.

What were the chances for me to find a litteral soulmate as soon as I moved in town and for me to be engaged to him only a year and a half later ?

Did I actually become someone's fiancee ?

"Oh my God !"

An unusual strong breeze of air hit me, followed by a pleasing scent which could be felt from my left side. Not surprised, I looked up to see Edward sitting beside me, with a bright face expression.

"I like that word. Fiancee." Edward said in the most accurate French accent. "A promised one."

I brought my hands away from my face and cleared my throat, realizing that I have been caught in my frantic state.

Edward laughed and kissed my temple after witnessing my failed attempt to compose myself.

"Had I known that you would take the proposal this way and I would've saved myself the stress."

I arched my eyebrows at him, surprised. "You doubted ?"

"I have been confident about my choice for long now, but my insides quivered at the possible rejection." Edward answered while I adjusted my position and sat cross-legged, facing him. "I know marriage wasn't a priority for you. I doubt I've ever heard you think about it even once."