34 - { ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴋɪᴅᴅɪɴɢ...ʀɪɢʜᴛ? }

Douma POV:

(Y/N)'s mother seems frustrated. I sip the tea calmly - which is tasteless thanks to me being a demon, observing her actions. Now, she was rapidly cutting carrots with a sharp kitchen knife, likely attempting to hold in her anger, possibly busying herself to take her mind off of the visitor, whose presence she obviously did not like. As I was watching her, I saw her take a short glimpse of my face, as if she were internally figuring out what exactly to say.

"So, you're Douma, if I'm correct." The woman kindly smiled up to study my appearance, the sharp gaze of her smokey obsidian eyes seeming to pierce straight though me. 

"Yes, you are not mistaken." I reply, carefully returning the tea to its place on the saucer. I pick up the miniature plate, placing it to the side as to not accidentally spill the hot liquid or break the cup.

"You know, (Y/N) cares about you a lot." She glances back up at me, her hands making light work of the vegetables in front of her as she continued our conversation without even sparing a glance to look downwards.

"I thank you, Douma-kun. I thank you for being the reason for her happiness." The woman bows her head in gratitude, her fingers now visibly clenching onto the knife. Her lip starts to tremble, and she lowered her gaze so that i couldn't see her eyes. 

In return I nod, a calm - yet mostly fake - smile gracing my face. I knew that she was about to cry, so I stayed silent and simply ignored her tears. 

Not my cult member, not my problem.

"Ah, it is no worry, (L/N)-sama. If it weren't my job to help her, I would say that her company is quite enjoyable on its own."

The older woman rapidly blinks the gathering moisture out of her eyes, glancing back up to meet my own watchful gaze. By the thoughtful expression on her face, I could tell that she was contemplating on something she wanted to say, but did not quite know how to convey in words.

"Douma? I only have one message to you." She begins, her eyes wordlessly reading my facial expression, which I kept in a calm smile.

"Yes, (L/N)-sama?" I say expectantly, silently gesturing for her to continue. To be honest, I was actually wondering what she would say, if she had to take such a long time to think of the words to properly get the meaning across.

"Take care of my daughter." Her dark eyes lower, voice becoming much softer.

Was this woman serious? She took all that time - which was at least thirty seconds, I might add - to say five words? 

I kept my annoyance to myself, returning my thoughts back to Earth. I nod silently, my smile widening.

"I will." I whisper, lowering my head to see my reflection in the small puddle of now lukewarm tea left in the teacup.

"I mean it. Do not ever break her trust, because it's impossible, and I mean impossible, to gain it back." The voice of (Y/N)'s mother becomes more serious, and I could practically feel her eyes piercing through me.

"Oh my, is it really that difficult?" I lean forwards in my chair, now leaning my hands against the counter. I was slightly intrigued by this. (Y/N)'s mother nods, her expression saddened.

"I lost her trust when she was a child, and she's never forgiven me." The woman whispers, glaring daggers at the poor carrot, which she had been stabbing at on the cutting board. Her grip on the knife tightened. 

"May I ask why sh-" I begin, only to get cut off immediately.

"No." She replies without a moment of hesitation. I pause, not quite expecting that type of reaction.  

"Uhm...alright then." I say awkwardly, nodding my head. 

'That was strange.' I think, retreating into my thoughts for the next few moments before I speak once more.

"(Y/N)'s been outside for quite a while." I suddenly notice aloud. (Y/N)'s mother searches around the room, which was obviously to no avail. She sighs in disappointment.

"Yep, she's talking with Kotori." Her words fill with venom once she speaks the name of the other woman. I nod in a fake understanding. Just by this much information (in addition to past experience with cult members), I could figure almost out the entire situation involving (Y/N)'s family.

"Hmm...what are they even doing out there?" I say inquisitively, attempting to sound curious. She shrugs, continuing to busy herself with cutting the vegetables in front of her.

'I'll go check.' I think, pushing in the chair. I turn to (Y/N)'s mother with a slight bow of my head.

"Thank you for your hospitality." I say before heading off to find (Y/N). 

Turns out that she and the new woman, Kotori, were chatting happily near the front door. As soon as (Y/N) heard the sound of my footsteps, to which I made to be louder for that reason, her eyes brightened and a smile crossed her face.

"Aha, there you are!" She walks over to me and takes my hand, pulling me over to where the woman was. I studied the full appearance of Kotori before I spoke a word.

A tall woman, likely around 5'7 or 5'8. It would be expected that her messy hair and half-done makeup was a result of sprinting all the way here just after waking up, those words were ones i heard from accidentally eavesdropping on their conversation from the other room.

"Ah, so you're Douma, the one (Y/N)-chan couldn't stop babbling about." Kotori shifted her weight to her heels, placing her hands behind her back. I could see the teasing type of amusement in her eyes when she spoke. In response, (Y/N) averts her eyes, clearly embarrassed.

"I deny everything." She murmurs, although it is still loud enough for us both to hear. I put my arm around her shoulders reassuringly as Kotori chuckled.

"It's fine, (Y/N), I don't blame you. I'm quite an interesting topic, you know?" I say playfully, to which she rolls her eyes, snorting with internal laughter. 

"Right. Whatever floats your boat." A grin crosses her face.

"Ah, I apologize," Kotori interrupted, "but I must be going very soon. I was not aware how late it's becoming." She sighs. (Y/N)'s shoulders sag and she lowers her eyes, frowning. 

"Aww, okay." She huffs, wrapping her arms around Kotori for a quick goodbye hug. Kotori pats her on the back before opening the door. 

This was normal except for one thing. The sun was streaming inside, so I rapidly moved out of the way of its beams, which Kotori somehow saw me do. The last expression I could see on her face before (Y/N) shut the door was one full of understanding. She definitely knew I was a demon, and I couldn't even kill her because (Y/N) was so fond of her!

"Shit." I whisper.

Word Count: 1207