18 - { ᴡʜʏ ɪꜱ ɪᴛ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴꜱᴇᴄᴛꜱ!? }

Y/N POV:

"Eh!? How did you know her name!?" A clueless Touko exclaimed, backing up several steps away from the 'child'. Meanwhile, I was staring at the male in suspicion at what could be happening. That was when I remembered that he had a female 'version', if you will. Meaning that he could change his shape to look different. 

"Oh shit." I mumbled under my breath before I glanced at Touko, forcing my face into a much more joyful expression than I originally had. I waved off Touko's concern, yet my stomach had already started to hurt from the fear.

"Don't worry, he most likely heard us talking to each other beforehand." I let out a light laugh, and luckily it didn't even sound nervous. At this point, I was just trying to stall to see what was would be the best course of action to take next.

If I made an attempt to run away and use someone for protection, or even shelter, he could easily kill anyone who I tried to call for help. Plus, why would someone even try to help hide me? The villagers here are clearly uninterested in any contact with outsiders, which was obvious from the number of wary stares I had received since I arrived.

If I just attempted to take Touko's hand and run without a plan in mind, he would either catch me before I could even take the first step, use Touko as leverage against me, or use his demons to track me down. 

The best plan I could think of right then was to stop Touko from being involved in any direct danger, hoping to convince Muzan that she was clueless enough for her to be left alone without being killed, and follow what the demon was asking of me.

"Touko-chan, by the way, I plan to help this boy find his parents. You can go and check out the different stalls; I'll meet up with you soon." I lied, trying to sound convincing enough for her to leave the alleyway and return to what little safety the crowded streets of the town could offer her.

She didn't seem as though she believed me, however, and I could tell that Muzan was extremely close to murdering her on the spot. I shot Touko a reassuring look, falsely reminding the silver haired girl that nothing bad could happen. As a last effort, I extremely cautiously walked over to Muzan and stood beside him, impatiently waving goodbye to her.

She reluctantly gave me one last glance and a wave before momentarily disappearing into the mass of people. I sighed in relief, waiting for a couple of seconds that she was really gone before turning around to look at the black haired demon who I assumed was standing next to me. However, who I saw beside me was no longer a child, instead a man who was glaring at me, a menacing aura surrounding him as he looked down on me. 

In reaction, I physically jolted at the sight, not expecting a grown man to be standing where a child had just been. I was internally guessing that he had switched to his adult form when I was watching Touko's silvery head of hair fade into the crowd. 

"I remember you, human. You're that pathetic apathetic kid that Upper Two found so interesting." Muzan paused for a moment, realizing his unintentional rhyme, which I internally found quite funny.

"But you're not the same." The demon's deep red eyes narrowed, "There's something different about you this time." I froze, terror written on my face as I slightly shivered in fear. Seconds later, a burning feeling washed over my entire body, realizing that I had 'revealed' myself and possibly sealed my fate by doing so.

I returned my attention towards Muzan who was standing before me, a heavy heartbeat pounding in burning hot eardrums. The demonic man stared at me with a type of psychotic curiosity as he watched what I had been doing, an interested expression on his pale face.