19 - { ᴄʜɪʟᴅɪꜱʜ }

Rui POV:

I expected the girl, (Y/N), to have much more...dramatic, if you will, of a reaction to meeting Father. Yet, I was taken aback when her face only contorted into the mild expression of surprise. Not fear, but an innocent, accepting type of surprise.

This had been the first time a human had not screamed for help when they had seen him, or even fruitlessly attempted to escape into the thick mirage of 'safety' of the forest. The girl had barely flinched when the other had stepped into the moonlight; it was clear that she could see his face.

Yes, she may have panicked slightly when she heard his heavy footsteps traversing towards the house, but she hadn't known what danger there could've been. No less was to be expected; she was a human surrounded by a world of demons, so it was only natural for her not to trust an unknown shadow.

She was definitely not normal, and that showed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- With Touko -
Third Person POV:

'It's already been two hours, and (Y/N) still isn't back. I should alert the authorities; see if they could help. Maybe I'll eventually find my family...' The silver haired teenager carefully maneuvered her way through the thick crowd of people, accidentally bumping into several different strangers along the way.

"My apologies, sir!" Touko harshly bumped into yet another person. This man had jet black hair with striking lapis eyes, but what truly caught Touko's attention was the fact that he looked like he was rich, which was quite rare for someone who lived in the village. 

'He must be of some importance, if he is dressed in such a pristine uniform. Such an expensive looking haori, too.' Touko took note of several of the man's features, but revisited reality when he turned his head away from her, seemingly ignoring the poor girl, before quickly stalking off into the crowd. 

This happened to Touko often, unluckily being born a female in such a sexist era. She was often ignored and waved off as unimportant, especially by the men in the cult that held higher ranking of a status than she did - which was not difficult to find, since as they phrased it, she was 'just there to serve'.

She sighed in annoyance at the lack of response from the rude stranger, her golden eyes flitting around to spot an unoccupied bench positioned near a vendor selling a variety of colorful fruit. Touko's face lit up in relief, internally cheering that she had finally found a place to rest, even if it was only for a small amount of time. 

Her feet throbbed from walking for the entire day, and with each step, the already blistering pain increased. Touko speedwalked towards the bench, but paused, wondering if she should ask the vendor of the fruit stall if she could rest for a minute. 

She approached the bench, the fruit seller glancing up from the work at the stand. The vendor, who was a rather attractive looking lady, smiled kindly up at her, her teeth on display as she studied Touko. The woman wore chin length black hair paired with bright turquoise eyes, which deeply yet beautifully contrasted her scarlet painted lips and pale skin.

"Hello Ue-sama, would you care to buy some freshly grown fruit? I have a grand selection; perhaps you would like some peaches or ichigo, they're quite tasty at this time of year!" The second that Touko stayed within talking distance of the fruit stand, the woman started to blabber about selling her produce; it was too obvious that she was desperate to sell something.