17 - { ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴜɴᴋɴᴏᴡɴ }

Touko POV:

As the sun had just begun to hide for the evening, the tallest houses of my village came into our view in the distance. I gasped excitedly and sprinted forwards, which probably caught poor (Y/N) off guard.

More and more of my hometown gradually started to appear before me, causing my face to adorn a childish grin. Seconds later, I saw a strange barbed fence that bordered the entire area along with several wisteria trees that did the same.

"Weird, this wasn't here before." I planted my feet into the ground and skidded to a stop, flinging dirt into the air. I heard the loud sound of dry sticks crunching into the dirt behind me, and I figured it was (Y/N).

"Why'd you stop?" She asked me, and I pointed a finger towards the unknown gate.

"This wasn't here when I visited last time. There's also wisteria surrounding the perimeter." By now, I was suspicious of what could've happened for people to decide that a metal fence needed to be stationed around the entire village. The people were so carefree before!

"Don't worry Touko-chan! The gate and wisteria is likely just a safety precaution,  villagers going missing is quite a common occurrence, especially in the towns surrounding this area. I can hear plenty of people inside, so don't even worry about it." (Y/N) placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, and I thought about what she had said for a moment.

I sighed in relief, letting out a deep breath I had no idea I had been holding in. Nodding slowly, I faced the (e/c) eyed female and smiled.

"Yeah, you're right. Let's go inside, it probably doesn't matter anyway." I stepped back, looking at the area surrounding the gate. After several seconds of scanning the walls of the gate, I found a nearly unnoticeable break in a wall that was at least twenty yards away from us. My hands traced the side of the gate as I dashed towards it excitedly. 

Skidding to a stop in front of the mysterious break in the metal, I waited for (Y/N) to arrive beside me before attempting to open the gate. After studying the wall again, I realized that it had no handle, which meant nothing to open the gate with.

"(Y/N), it can't be opened from the outside. We'd have to go inside before even trying to open it." I didn't know how we were to enter the village if it was so heavily locked up like this. Maybe she would have some ideas?

On cue, (Y/N) pointed her finger upwards, revealing something I hadn't seen before. I tilted my head up, confused, before my eyes widened. Leaning over the side of the metal gate was a young girl with chin-length black hair and dull green eyes, but as soon as she saw the both of us staring back at her, she disappeared.

"Wait! Please, wait!" I called up towards the gate, squinting my eyes as I hoped to see the strange green eyed lady reappear up above. I rapidly whirled around, running backwards to get a better view of the metal structure.

Suddenly, I heard several soft clicking noises. I froze, listening as the noises stopped, and the gate budged. A pale hand reached around the door, opening the gate slightly. Merely a second later, her smooth black hair and nervous green eyes inched out from behind the strong protection the gate had provided for her.

The girl's nervous gaze was now upon the two of us, and she jolted at every move we made. Even though her movements were practically silent, the metallic clanging of the gate clearly gave away her opinion on us. At a pace comparable to that of a snail, (Y/N) stepped forwards with her hands up to show that she was unarmed, and I mimicked her, doing the same.