1 - { ᴀᴡᴀʏ? }

Y/N POV:

Ever since I was a child, I have had no regard for human emotions. I do not know what it means to feel, but I have no problem with that. My parents however, have brought me to various doctors, in attempts to change my lack of empathy. 

So far, no one has been able to find out my condition, as they call it, but they have not stopped trying to find a way to 'help me'. 

"Okaa-san, Otou-san, I'm going out. I'll be back before sunrise." I called to my parents as I slid open the door, revealing the starry night sky. I was immediately greeted with a cool breeze of fresh air against my face. I shivered, and stepped outside, admiring the moon.

"Okay, have fun!" My mother called from inside the house. I closed the door behind me before planning what I was going to do until sunrise. Judging by the position of the moon overhead, I'd say it was just past midnight.

 'The shops are only a short walk away, so I can look around for a while before returning home. I might as well stretch my legs a bit since I just woke up.' My thoughts went quiet, and I found my hands subconsciously tracing the edge of my (f/c) kimono as I walked along the moonlit road. The silence was empty, yet peaceful in a way. It was as if the only noises in the world were the sounds of my own heartbeat. 

It did not last long, as the sounds of chatter in the village became louder, and the outlines of people became more distinct. As I entered the town, I observed many different stands and shops of all kinds, calling buyers in. None of these piqued my interest, and I swiftly navigated through the bustling crowd, watching each face passing. 

I recognized in my head the familiar features of several of the people around me. Makoto-san, the young carpenter along his kind wife, Himari-san. Rin-dono, the apothecary who takes care of most of the townspeople, including my family. Osamu-sama, the old butcher that gives the stray dogs a bit of meat when he thinks no one is watching.

I slowed my pace as I rounded the corner into a dimly lit alleyway. The odor of rotten garbage fills my nose as I stroll farther into the alley. Ignoring it, my (e/c) eyes flitted around, studying the mildew-covered walls. I stopped abruptly as my hand grappled onto the object I was searching for. 

A metal ladder, leading up to the top of a hut. I climbed it as I have done hundreds of times, the rungs extending out onto a thatched roof. I cautiously maneuvered my way across the tiles, knowing what was safe to walk on and where was safe to hold onto. I settled onto a spot on the far end of the roof, wrapping my arms around my knees and resting my chin in the crook of my elbow. I sat there for the rest of the night, listening and watching the lively townspeople below. 

'It's going to be daytime soon. I'll head home.' I guided myself down to the ground. Setting off at a brisk pace, I hurried down the rocky path, gravel rhythmically crunching beneath my black sandals. 

A few minutes later, I had arrived at my house. It was just before sunrise, and I straightened up my posture. I fixed my (f/c) kimono, which had gotten a bit dusty and wrinkled from the trip home and slid open the shoji door. I waited a few seconds, and heard my mother in the living room. When I strolled over to the doorframe, I saw that she was talking to a black-haired man, whose back was facing towards me. I silently stood there in the doorframe until she noticed me making eye contact with her. 

"Ah, (Y/N)! Come sit next to me." She motioned me over to her, patting the space on the tatami mat beside her. I obediently went over and sat down. She poured a cup of tea and set it in front of me.