Chapter Nineteen - Miles

"Please don't go," she croaks, sniffling.
My chest aches. "I have to. Just one more week and then all of this will be over and I'll be home. Okay?" I offer, holding her face in my hands.
"Okay," she whispers.

I pull her back into me and hug her as tight as I can. I let out the sigh trapped in my chest and try to memorize how her body feels pressed against mine. I don't want to leave her. I don't want to go back to fucking Cleveland. But I told Deacon one more week. I need to stay true to my word.

The rain that pours down reminds me of the day I picked her up after a SANE case. That was the first time I really saw her broken. That was the first time she opened up to me about the lack of love and affection in her life, the fact that no one had ever made her dinner before. Jesus, that feels like lifetimes ago now.

We stand under the umbrella that we hold between our bodies. I put every ounce of energy that I have into remembering this moment. The smells, sounds, and feelings. Jet's chest shakes as she cries. I'd be lying if I didn't say that there are some tears in my eyes as well. I kiss the crown of her head before resting my chin on it.

Halle, Penny, Connor, and Riley stand on our front porch and watch us. They're ready to comfort her. I didn't even have to ask them to be here. They knew. They knew that she is going to fall apart the second I pull out of the driveway.

"Please stay," she whimpers.
"I'll be home before you know it," I promise.
"Jackson, please," she begs, looking up at me with tears in those fucking eyes.
"Fuck, you're killing me," I breathe, tucking some of her hair behind her ear.
"Please."

I pull her in by her chin to kiss her, gently at first. But then she slides her tongue into my mouth and I bite her lip and she gasps into me while pressing her body against mine and I run my hands under her shirt and up her bare back and she gasps and stutters "I love you" between kisses and I taste her words in my mouth. We're breathless, our hearts pounding out of our chests, hands entangled in the others clothes. I rest my forehead against hers.

"Only five more days?" Jet rasps.
"Only five more days," I confirm in a gentle voice.
"Please be careful," she instructs.
"I will be," I assure.
"Okay... go," she urges, straightening out my jacket. "Go now before I change my mind."
"I love you," I tell her.
"I love you too," she replies, kissing me quickly.

I smack her ass before turning to get into my car. She smacks mine just before I slide into the seat, snickering at herself. I settle in and turn to look at her.

"And you say I'm the horn dog," I tease, cocking my eyebrow.
"Shut up," she scoffs, laughing as she closes my door for me.

I turn the ignition, engine coming to life with a roar. She waves sadly as she backs away from the car. She's trying to smile, to fool me, but I can see the tears already starting. I wave back at her, switching into reverse and backing out of our driveway. She switches her hand to the ASL sign for "I love you." I copy her, holding my thumb, index, and pinky fingers up as I shift into drive and pull away.

Don't look back. Don't look back. Don't look back. Fuck. Okay. Just one quick glance.

My eyes jump to the rearview mirror. I can't find Jet. I look in my driver-side mirror and see her squatting on the ground, knees in her chest, sobbing in the exact spot I left her in. Riley is by her side, holding her and saying words in her ear as the rain pours down on them, umbrella discarded.

"Fuck!" I curse, forcing myself to look away.

Okay. Music. Music will make me feel better. Just listen to some music to get your mind off of things. I open my music library and hit shuffle. Because the universe hates me, the song "Miles Away" by Memphis May Fire featuring Kellin Quinn is first up. The lyrics hit me like a ton of bricks, taking the breath from my chest. I blink away the tears that are starting to form and focus on the road.