Chapter Five - Monsters

Jet's POV

"How's the trip to Ohio going?" Halle asks me, voice slightly distorted by the phone's speakers.
"Good," I reply lazily, wrapping the yarn around my crochet hook and pulling it through the loop.
"Come on, give me more to work on than just that," Halle urges. "Has he been fucking the shit out of you?"
I laugh, "Jesus, Halle! You don't waste any time, do you?"
"What? You and I both know that I prefer to have conversations in bullet points," she shrugs.
"True. It's what I love so much about you," I muse, smiling at her.

Have you ever met one of those people that instantly you just... click? Like you knew that you were both put on this earth to be a part of the other's life?

Yeah, that's how I feel with Halle.

My first day in the office, she came running in late, spilled her coffee all over both of our desks (we sit side by side), and then dropped the cases she had been reviewing. She's the other nurse that Larry keeps on staff (which is basically unheard of for a law firm which just makes Larry even cooler, in my opinion). I helped her clean up the coffee, giving her a Shout wipe for the stain on her shirt, and then helped her reorganize the files that exploded. She repaid me later when I dropped my cup of coffee all over our desks. We then laughed at ourselves so hard that we cried.

She's my platonic soulmate, I'm certain.

"Alright, enough of the me talk, I need details," she says, adjusting the clear-framed glasses on her face. "Tell me all about the hot, hot, hot sex you've been having, you bitch."
"I mean..." I drag, looking around the room. "Yeah, he's been fucking the ever-loving shit out of me."
"Ooooohhh, spicy!" she exclaims. "Tell me more! Come on! Ryan has been gone on a trip for three days, I'm desperate."

Ryan is her fiance. He is a full time pilot which means that they spend an awful lot of time apart. She has been the one getting me through this with her knowledge and experience and sex toy recommendations.

"That's all the details that you get," I tell her, my fingers absent-mindedly going through the motions of the crochet patterns I'm working on. It makes a little stuffed otter.
"Ugh, fine. Why are you always crocheting if you're not working or flirting with your husband?" she wonders.
"Oh, well, with what Jackson usually does, he is the person pulling kids out of really shitty situations. I kept telling him to keep a few stuffed animals with him in his work bag to give them when they're scared. Well then we started flying through them and so I decided to learn how to make them myself," I explain, shrugging.

"You are a literal saint, you know that, right?" she replies.
"Oh, shut up," I dismiss. "It just gives me something to do."
"Well then why are you doing it in your hotel room? Shouldn't you be railing your husband?" she asks.
"I would be, but he had to go in," I sigh, rolling my eyes. "Some idiots got themselves into some deep shit and Jackson had to drag them out of it, per usual."
"Why is that his problem to deal with?" she questions.
"You know, he and I said the same damn thing and the answer we got was 'because he's the director' and that was the end of the conversation," I huff. "I can't wait for him to be just a commanding officer again, I hate this director bullshit."
"Does Jackson enjoy it?"
"No! He hates it too! I've never seen him so frustrated and stressed before," I answer. It's then that I realize that I fucked up the last two rows that I just did. "Oh, god damn it," I mutter, pulling the working yarn so that the screw-up unravels.

"Well if he hates it so much, why doesn't he just go back to his old job?" she asks, pulling her dirty blonde hair up into a messy topknot.
"He's been trying, they aren't letting him," I tell her.
"That's fucking stupid," she concludes, shaking her head.
"Amen to that," I reply.
"Also, isn't that like hella illegal?" she wonders, raising her eyebrow.
"99.9% sure it is," I sigh.