27. Inexpensive

At the moment, Jay is unsure of where they are going or what he has in mind, letting him blindly drag him. He finds himself in the passenger seat of Sunghoon's car but he can't even lose himself in the mindless array of streets, buildings and roads. His mind was still spinning.

Right after their phone call, Sunghoon drove over to his house to take him somewhere. Jay was too caught up in the situation to ask where they were going and Sunghoon didn't say anything but a mere 'It's gonna be okay, now let's get outta here.'

Sunghoon hadn't said anything since then.

He seems tense himself and suddenly Jay remembers how Sunoo left early with Sunghoon. He holds the steering wheel tight, but he attempts to remain cause as if he's holding a storm inside.

Jay opens his mouth to speak but the silence feels nice for the moment so instead shuts his eyes and leans his head against the frost-nipped window beside him. He huddles up close to himself as if to shut the rest of the world out.

He tries to fall asleep but his head throws thousands of thoughts that keep him awake and alert. However, he feels tired and deary, weak and broken – he was meant to protect him, but he failed to protect himself.

"Hey, you hungry?" Sunghoon hums, tapping his steering wheel as they stop at a red light. He spares a quick glance to the back of his car when Jay doesn't respond, pressing his foot on the gas.

"Jay, you there? Are you hungry?" He asks once again, laughing gently at the end as he tries to cheer up the clearly distressed Jay who shrugs his shoulders.

"I mean... I guess I could eat," He wears a weak smile and leans deeper in the seat.

"I'll take that as a yes, then." Sunghoon scoffs and shakes his head, turning the corner. Jay just smiles and appreciates his presence. Being alone so often he thought he didn't need to be constantly surrounded by people to cheer him up but maybe all he really needed to get him up was a friend.

"Wait... where are we going?" Jay suddenly asks before the silence sinks in and Sunghoon shrugs his shoulders.

"I dunno, just wanted to drive around, better than sitting like logs in my place," He chuckles and brews his fingers through his hair, tapping the steering wheel. Jay gives him a confused yet worried look.

"So sitting like logs in a car is different to sitting like logs in your place?" Jay scoffs and mutters something quietly to himself, trying to get himself comfortable again.

"Yeah, it is." He argues back, trying to reason with him but realises he's too tired to care. "Well, I'm not sitting like a log at least." He chuckles and Jay rolls his eyes playfully.

"You have to agree, Jay, this is the better way." Sunghoon looks over at Jay who shrugs and shakes his head.

"Yeah, the more expensive way," Jay mutters more to himself than to Sunghoon but of course, he still takes offence.

"But now we can eat out – it's my treat," He replies with a cheery tone and Jay chuckles, not realising he's proven his point.

"See – more expensive." Jay points out in a factual tone. Sunghoon ignores him this time and rolls down his window. He orders two seemingly random items on the menu, Jay finally peering up to see where they are.

"Would you rather me have made you a sandwich or do you want some quality fries, burger and a drink just to rub in that salty attitude of yours—"

"Okay, okay chill ill take your money, jeez." Jay calms him down as he takes the order.

"You better eat that meal and enjoy every bite because of all that attitude I had to deal with," Sunghoon teases as he waits for his order, Jay quickly unravelling the burger, scrambling to eat it.