13. boys and girls

▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Wait, wait, wait... what?" Jungwon's smile falters. Sunghoon chuckles and pats his shoulder but he's still beyond confused to comprehend whatever Sunghoon had just told him.

"What's so confusing?" He gestures as the three of them take a seat in the front room, Sunghoon's parents making their way upstairs inconspicuously.

"Uh, I don't know the fact that you're queer and you never told me," Jungwon almost exclaimed until he realised he was at home and his parents were only a floor or two away from him. But you never told anyone either...

When Sunghoon begins explaining all the things that he needs to catch Jungwon up on, his voice fizzles out into background noise. His eyes flutter over to Jay who wears an unreadable expression, looking at his feet with a slight grin but could easily be caught as frown in the wrong angle.

The warm summer light filters in through the open window and paints his skin a whimsical gold which makes his champagne-coloured hair bellow an ethereal glow. He notices how his eyes turn a lighter shade of brown; the spots of hazel now evident under the sun's gaze. And only now does he realise how his lips slowly quirk up – did he notice him staring?

"Are you guys coming?" Riki exclaims from the dining room, the familiar waft of cookies burns in his noes reminding him of his baking.

When Jay's eyes meet his own, his cheeks feel warm, and breath hitches in his throat when he's sure that he's been caught staring for way too long. He spares Jungwon a short grin before standing up.

"I should go," Jay hums out with a wide smile, adjusting his clothes on his body only now does Jungwon realise how he cleaned up for their little hangout and gosh did he feel horrible.

Standing up, "Why don't you stay for a bit?" Jungwon asks with a small smile, hand reaching out for the olders but when he realises Sunghoon is there he can't help but feel uncomfortable.

"Your parents-"

"They're upstairs on the third floor probably, they won't see you," Jungwon reassures, squeezing his own wrist in compensation as he pleads his own case.

With a light chortle, Jay shakes his head with a warm smile as he reaches over to ruffle his dark hair, "My parents are probably wondering where I am; I'll be back later tonight,"

"I'm sorry," He whispers softly, hand slipping down to cup the younger's cheeks for a moment, heart feeling heavy as his tummy flutter with butterflies when he pulls back and heads for the door, "I wish I could stay," he mumbles, his smile faltering when he notices how upset Jungwon is.

"I-it's fine, don't worry about it," Jungwon squeezes the blood out of his fingers, trying to mask his disappointment with a fake smile. Jay's comforting gaze lingers on him for a second before smiling at him.

"Bye, Sunghoon," Jay spares him a smile, "goodbye, dar- I mean, Jungwon..." he chuckles before taking his leave.

Sunghoon stand up, clearing the heavy atmosphere after Jay had left and approached the door to the dining room, "I didn't know you were gay too."

Stumbling on his steps, Sunghoon turns around, "W-what I never said anything-"

"So, you and Jay aren't dating?" Jungwon doesn't respond, cheeks flooding with colour as he turns away with embarrassment. He doesn't really know what they are. "It's okay if you are, you already know I won't tell a soul," He nudges his side.

"I don't know what we are..." Jungwon breathes out as he slumps against the wall, a heavy feeling weighing on his chest as he folds his arms. He's not sure whether he should look away or face Sunghoon.