04. Promise

▬▬▬▬▬

Only a few days later is it finally the weekend, and Jungwon couldn't be any more exhausted.

Lounging on his sofa and texted his friends while his mother finally sets down their dinner which was an hour overdue, and his father was still sorting through papers despite it being a Saturday evening. It didn't go unnoticed that his parents seemed to be working more than usual but he just brushed it off – they had business and properties that were probably more of a hassle than they had time for.

And it had only been a few days later since his encounter with Jay, yet he still can't get his words, and actions, out of his head. His clashing ideals of being overly confident to suddenly quiet and apologetic didn't make much sense, and Jungwon can confidently admit that he has never met such a person as him who could encapsulate all his attention even with the little time they spent with each other.

He doesn't really know the boy very well, and it's true he's done some questionable things that evoked such weird feelings inside him, that can't be explained. Though Jungwon can't see Jay as actually being a homosexual, gay–queer when he first met him. His prior thoughts must have been out of confusion, but Jungwon's stunned at why his mind kept trailing back to those awkward assumptions every time his mind flickers back to whenever he brought his hand up to his cheek.

Unless... Jay is really homosexual, then he must do his best to either guide him away from such wrongs or stay away from him as his parents had always taught him to.

" 'Even outside of school, people are asking me to ask Jay for his number and stuff like I don't know him!' " Riki's text pulls Jungwon out of his trance, but yet again, it's about Jay.

How ironic.

" 'Why though?' " Sunoo responds, and Jungwon hopes they don't catch onto his silence in the chat.

" 'Because he sits next to me in science.' " Riki explains and adds an unnecessary eye roll emoji along with his statement.

" 'I heard there was a rumour that he's actually poor and was forced to stay here because his parents are working for Jiaan's parents.' " Sunoo's response seems out of pocket for what Riki had just said, but it's enough for Jungwon to actually respond.

" 'What? But then how could his parents have paid to come in the first place?' " Jungwon is unsure of why he feels the need to defend Jay against the rumours, but he supposes it's because Jay thought of him as a friend.

" 'Maybe Jiaans parents paid for Jay to enrol?' "Riki adds, " 'That doesn't even make any sense...' "

Jungwon sighs harshly, finding the conversation hard to continue, " 'Exactly. I just think Jiaan's saying it out of jealousy.' " He fidgets on the sofa and sits up against the pillows.

" 'I heard Min saying Jay is queer.' "

At that Jungwon froze. " 'What – now they're just saying random things just because Jay's popular.' " He had never been so irritated in his life when Riki sent that message, and he was so confused as to why he was this angry.

" 'Maybe but he said that he was touchy with other boys and overheard him call you 'darling'. ' " Riki's message sent a flurry of colours up to Jungwons cheeks, pressing his phone against his chest to recompose himself. Coughing out meekly, Jungwon quickly replied to his text.

" ' What?!? He's never called me that – I barely even know the guy.' " Jungwon wasn't sure why he so abrasively lied to his friends. He wasn't one who usually fibbed – being too afraid it would catch him in the utmost wrongdoings and cause him to be shunned by all the much more perfect people surrounding him.