~ Chapter 47: Finally ~

~ Caesar ~

I took a breath as I stood outside Ebony's room door.

After she called me, we both decided it was best to talk in person.

There's so much I want to say and apologize for, I don't know where to start.

But really and truly, I just want to be near her again.

I want to hug her and let her know everything is going to be okay.

I owe her that.

I took one last breath before knocking on the door.

I heard shuffling movements before the door opened slowly.

I saw Ebony standing there in her robe and her messy hair dropped down in curls.

Nevertheless, she still looks as beautiful as she always does.

It's so refreshing to see her again.

Ebony's eyes widened slightly as I then felt myself freeze.

"Caez..."

"Ebbz..." I hesitantly walked forward, anxiously anticipating her next reaction.

After a few seconds, I saw her eyes tear up as she started to smile.

Ebony threw herself onto me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"C-Caesar..." She cried softly, hugging me tightly. I didn't hesitate to hug her back, sighing in relief.

"I'm here." I said, smiling. I rubbed her back softly as she snuggled her face into my chest.

This is all the reassurance I need.

I don't want to let her go.

And I can feel she doesn't want me to either.

After a few minutes, we finally pulled away. I rested my hands on her cheeks as she looked up at me.

"Hey." I smiled at her.

"H-Hi." Ebony giggled slightly, wiping her tears.

She then winced in pain.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked in concern.

"Just my head..." She rubbed it in pain. "I'm okay."

"Come on, you need to sit." I walked her to her bed. Once she got settled, I pulled up a chair and sat down.

"Your head okay?" "Yeah, it's fine. It's just post-surgery pain. Don't worry about it." Ebony reassured me.

"Well I am worried." I looked at her in deep concern. "You had surgery. I should've been with you..."

I then looked down, sighing deeply.

"Ebbz... I don't even know where to begin." I said guiltily as she sighed. "Caez-"

"No. I was a jerk." I shook my head in regret. "I was terrible to you, and for no reason." I looked back up at her.

"I should've known it was Jacob that spiked your drink."

"Caez, it's okay." Ebony insisted. "I didn't even know."

"But I should've." I said in self-reproach. "Because I know you. And I know you'd never break a promise. You never have."

Ebony looked at me sympathetically, taking my hand.

"...I'm so sorry for what Jacob said to you that night, Caesar." She apologized sincerely.

"You need to know that I've never blamed you for me getting shot." Ebony said with all sincerity.

"I don't know, Ebbz... Even sometimes I think, what if I had just stayed with you longer?" I pondered with a sigh. "What if I had just stayed five more minutes?"