~ Chapter 29: Heart & Head ~

~ Ebony ~

"Hey baby. Miss me?"

I looked to Caesar who seemed too shocked to speak. I then looked back to this girl with long black hair and caramel skin, smiling at him.

She's really pretty...

"...I'll be in the kitchen." Caesar's aunt said, walking out of the room.

Caesar looked as if he was struggling to get words out.

"Are you just gonna stand there or give me a hug, goofy?" Angela giggled.

Caesar nervously chuckled, finally walking up to her. She didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around his neck, squealing.

"I missed you so much!"

"I-" Before Caesar could speak, Angela slammed her lips against his.

I looked away, awkwardly.

Angela blushed, releasing the kiss. "I missed that." She smiled as Caesar only smiled back.

"Aren't you happy to see me?"

"Yeah! 'Course I am..." He trailed off. "I just didn't expect it."

"That's why it's called a surprise." Angela chuckled.

"But how? What about school?" "I made it work. I'm here for a couple weeks. I have some family here I'm staying with, but your aunt said it's fine if I spend the night." She smirked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

I think that's my cue...

"I should go." I whispered to Caesar.

He turned back to me, apologetically. "Oh, my bad! Uh wait, Angie, this is-"

"The famous Ebony." Angela walked over to me, as I stood nervously.

She then smiled at me, holding her hand out.

"It's nice to finally meet Caesar's best friend. I've heard a lot about you."

I mentally sighed in relief.

I smiled back, shaking her hand. "I've heard a lot about you too. It's great to meet you." I nodded.

I then turned to Caesar. "Well I'm sure you guys have a lot of catching up to do, so I'll get out of your way..."

As I was was about to walk away, Caesar took my arm.

"Wait." He told me before turning to Angela. "Uh, Angie, give us one sec?"

She nodded as Caesar pulled me aside.

"Hey, you don't have to leave." He told me softly.

I shook my head. "Caez, your girlfriend came all this way to see you. You should... Y'know, spend time with her."

"But-"

"You should work things out with her now that she's here..." I trailed off, looking down. "And I... I should do the same with Jake."

Caesar paused for a moment, looking down as well.

It was difficult to read his face.

After a while, he nodded slowly. "Aight... Yeah. Yeah, I guess you're right."

I then remembered. "Oh, was there something you wanted to tell me?"

"Huh?" "Earlier, before we came in. You were gonna tell me something." I said, as he began to remember.

"Oh! Uh..." He chuckled nervously, clearing his throat.

"I guess uh... I guess it doesn't matter anymore."