~ Chapter 11: Scared ~

~ Huey ~

"I think that's the last of them boys." Granddad clapped his hands as we entered our home.

"Thank God, a nigga's tired." Riley complained as he trudged towards the steps, dramatically collapsing.

"Are you sure, Granddad?" I looked up to my grandfather in uncertainty.

"It has to be, boy! We searched the whole damn town!"

Over the past few days since we found out Darrell has been looking for Ebony, we've been searching the streets and taking down his flyers in our neighborhood.

Granddad is not a legal guardian over Ebony since she ran away. So if the word gets out that she's staying with us, not only will Ebony be taken back to her abusive home, but Granddad could be arrested.

It's now Saturday, and we're almost sure that we've eliminated all of the flyers.

"Hey..." Ebony walked down the stairs, hesitantly.

Not to mention that Ebony was strictly forbidden to leave the house for the time being.

"Did you guys get through?" She asked as Granddad smiled with a thumbs up. "Don't you worry, lil baby! Ain't nobody coming for you."

Riley kissed his teeth. "Man, I'm tired as hell. We ain't takin' in no more abused homeless niggas."

"Riley." I scowled. "I mean I like you, Ebbzy, but this too much work- OW!" Riley exclaimed as Granddad slapped him upside the head.

"Boy, hush your mouth! Shoo! Ain't done no work in yo' life! It's about damn time you done something!"

Ebony chuckled nervously. "It's alright, Mr. Freeman. I already know it's been very inconvenient for you guys." She looked down.

"Don't think that way, Ebony. We're only concerned for your safety." I reassured her.

"Exactly, lil baby." "Yeah, what they said." Riley agreed.

Ebony then smiled. "Well, thanks you guys." She said as she proceeded to walk towards the door.

I quirked my eyebrow as Granddad took her arm.

"Woah there, lil baby. Where you think you goin'?"

"...I was gonna go to Jazmine's house to see her and Cindy." She told him as Granddad shook his head. "No way. Sorry lil baby, but you know you can't be goin' nowhere."

"Please, Mr. Freeman?" Ebony pleaded. "I haven't seen them in days and her house isn't that far." She pouted.

Granddad was thinking about it as I sighed.

"I can walk her there, Granddad."

It only took a few moments until he finally gave in. "Oh, alright. But I'm pickin' your ass up early! You hear me-"

"Thank you!" Ebony beamed before hugging Granddad as he smiled. "Thanks Huey!" She smiled before squeezing me as well.

"You're welcome. C'mon." I gestured as I opened the front door.

"Come on, boy! Let's hit the store!" Granddad called Riley as he groaned from the stairs.

"C'mon Granddad! You know a nigga's tired- OW!"

"Boy, getcho ass in the car!"

We all then proceeded to leave the house.

~ Jazmine ~

"Why am I here again?" Cindy asked as she sat on my couch with me, flipping through the TV channels with the remote.

"Cindy!" I frowned at her forgetfulness. "Because Ebony's coming!"