~ Chapter 16: Hope, Part 2 ~

~ Huey ~

"I have hope." I sighed as I took a deep breath. Jazmine who stood next to me squeezed my hand she was still holding.

I looked at our hands for a moment, feeling my face get warm.

I looked up to her as our eyes met.

Jazmine's cheeks turned red, before she looked away nervously. We both released from each other before looking at Ebony's room door.

"I wanna see Ebbzy, damn! Can't they open the door?" Jacob whined, pulling on the knob which was locked.

"Nigga, you wanna see Ebbzy's guts and sh*t while they slicin' her ass open?" Cindy asked.

Riley grimaced in disgust. "Ew, Murph!

"Wait what!?" Jazmine exclaimed in fear.

"They slicin' my girl!?" Jacob exclaimed before knocking on the door. "Aye! Let us in! Getcho hands off her!"

"Nobody's slicing her open. She already had surgery, and that's not an operating room." I shook my head.

Suddenly, the door to opened as Jacob backed away. The nurses began to exit as the doctor turned to us.

"What's going on, doctor?" I asked. "Yeah, is Ebony okay?" Jazmine asked, worriedly.

"Wait, what're you kids... Where's your grandfather-"

"Please, just tell us." I sighed.

The doctor paused, before reluctantly nodding. "Ebony is stable for now. It's just a waiting game." He concluded before walking off.

"What da hell does that mean?" Cindy asked in confusion.

"It means there's no telling when she'll wake up." I pinched the bridge of my nose.

I heard Riley suck his teeth. "This some bullsh*t..."

"Why can't the doctors f*ckin' do something?" Jacob groaned as he paced back and forth. "Ebbzy ain't gonna die is she?" Cindy asked hesitantly.

"N-No! She can't die!" Jazmine exclaimed, her eyes welling with tears.

"Huey man, what we gonna do?" I saw Riley look at me, worry written all over his face.

I took a deep breath before I looked to them all.

"What Ebony would want us to do."

The four of them looked at me in anticipation for me to continue.

"Pray."

***

The five of us stood in Ebony's hospital room, by her bedside.

In complete silence.

I looked at her in the bed and sighed. I then looked to my right, seeing Jazmine with her eyes closed and her hands clasped together.

The rest of them also had their eyes closed, although I saw Riley open his and peek every so often.

I never took the concept of praying seriously, or religion for that matter.

Despite my beliefs, I know Ebony would want me to do this.

I took a deep breath before closing my eyes.

Look, whoever You are.

I don't know if I believe You are real. I don't even know if me saying these words to You will have any affect at all.

In truth, I don't know if I'm praying or who I'm praying to.

However, if You are real. Please. Spare Ebony's life.