~ Chapter 31: Percy's Son ~

~ Huey ~

I rested my chin on my hand as I looked outside the taxi window.

I looked out to the many houses of my hometown.

Chicago.

I then briefly looked down at my next hand, holding my father's letter to Alfred.

"A left up here." I told the taxi driver who nodded before turning.

I only hope everything goes as planned.

I have faith in my sister. With her help, everything should be fine.

Earlier this morning...

*

"Huey, let's pause for a minute." Ebony whispered in slight panic, following me down the stairs quietly.

"Lower your voice. You'll wake them." I told her. "And  don't try to talk me out of this. Again." I set my suitcase down by the front door, putting on my jacket.

"But Huey, what if something happens?"

"Nothing will happen."

"What about money?"

"I told you. I took Granddad's money."

"But what if he finds out?" "He won't."

Ebony sighed in exhaustion. "Huey-"

"Ebony, you know I've been trying to find out the truth about my father for weeks."

"Yes, I know but-"

"So you know what to tell Granddad, right?"

Ebony then sighed in defeat.

"Yeah. You're on a field trip for the debate team."

"Good." I nodded, putting on my jacket.

"Huey, for the entire weekend? He might think something's up." She retorted.

"Ebony." I groaned.

"Y'know Huey, maybe this is a bad idea..." She said worriedly. "I don't think you should go to Chicago."

"You know, you're the one who showed me the note." I said with a scowl.

"I know-" "You couldn't possibly think that I was just going to do nothing about it, did you?"

"Huey, you're leaving the country without telling anyone!" Ebony whisper-yelled. "Of course I support you in doing whatever it takes to figure out what happened to your dad, but this is just-"

"You gave me your word." I interrupted my sister, causing her to look at me confusedly.

"From when we were kids. You gave me your word that whenever I needed it, whenever Granddad or Riley wouldn't be on my side, you would be. That you would be my sister." I reminded her.

I saw her facial expression turn soft. "Huey..."

"Ebony. Granddad doesn't get it. He doesn't get why I have to do this. But I have to do this, and he will not be on my side." I sighed. "So I need you to be."

Ebony looked down for a moment, taking a deep breath before looking back up at me with sad eyes.

"I'm on your side, Huey. I'm just scared." She admitted shakily. "If something happens to you while you're over there and I'm the only one that knew-"

"I'll call you. As soon as I land. And I'll keep you updated." I reassured her. "I will be fine."

After a few moments of silence, Ebony pulled me into a tight embrace. I sighed slightly, returning the hug.