~ Chapter 30: P.S. I Love You ~

~ Huey ~

As I walked down the school hallway, I held the book Freeman Fighters in my hand, scanning the pages.

I've been trying to look for any information I could have missed, but nothing new catches my eye.

I groaned, closing the book.

There's got to be something I missed.

As I looked up, I saw Jazmine from afar, hiding around a corner.

I quirked my eyebrow, walking up behind her.

"Jazmine?"

"Oh my go-" She jumped, turning and nudging me.

"Huey! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

"Why are you hiding over here?" I asked as Jazmine sighed, folding her arms.

"...I'm avoiding Cindy."

"And you're avoiding her because?" "You know why, Huey. She lied to me."

"So your plan is to avoid her for the rest of your life?" I asked with a raised brow.

Jazmine pouted. "...Maybe."

I shook my head. "Jazmine-"

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something else." She then said as I gave her my attention.

"It's about Trisha, Huey." Jazmine sighed. "She hurt Ebony today."

"What?" I scowled immediately.

"And it's not the first time, Huey. She just keeps doing things to hurt her, and Ebony's not doing anything about it, because... I just don't get it."

"It's because of the pattern she's been subjected to." I said while shaking my head as Jazmine turned to me, confused.

"What pattern?"

"From childhood, Ebony watched her father abuse her mother for years. She also watched her mother do absolutely nothing about it." I explained. "Everything that Trisha has done to her is practically nothing compared to what her father did, which probably makes her think it's okay."

"Well, it's not okay." Jazmine said sadly as I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "No, it is not."

"I'm afraid, Huey. I'm afraid Trisha's going to hurt Ebony really bad one day and that she's just going to take it." She told me in concern.

I shook my head. "It won't come to that. I'll take care of it." I assured her as she sighed in relief.

"Thanks Huey." Jazmine said with a smile, taking my hand in hers. As I looked down at our hands, I felt my face suddenly warm up.

When I looked back to Jazmine, I saw her cheeks flush before letting go.

She then looked past me, her eyes slightly widening.

"It's Cindy." She said as I looked and saw Cindy standing by her locker.

"Jazmine-" "I gotta go. I'll meet you to study later?" Jazmine said quickly before taking off.

I thought to myself for a moment before I started to walk towards Cindy.

When she noticed me, she rolled her eyes.

"Now you are the last nigga I'm tryna talk to."

"Cindy-" "What da f*ck do you want McHater?" She frowned, slamming her locker shut.

"Look, I know you hate me. You've made that clear. But I need your help."

"Now why da f*ck would I-" "And before you say no, just know that this is not for me. This is for Ebony, okay? Someone you actually like."