~ Chapter 12: Hopeless ~

~ Ebony ~

"Why is this happening, God? Why?"

I kneeled down at the bottom of my bed, as I had my hands clasped.

I have been crying non-stop since I found out about my father yesterday.

The only thing I could think to do right now was pray.

"I j-just don't understand why this is happening... I thought you brought me to the Freeman family for a reason." I sniffed.

"You can't possibly want me to go back to my abusive father? D-Do you?"

I took a deep breath as I began to wipe my tears. "P-Please... Please protect me, and the Freemans. Don't let anything happen to them because of me."

I sighed as I began to stand up. "Amen."

I left the guest room, as I began to walk down the stairs. When I entered the living room, I saw Mr. Freeman and Riley sitting on the couch watching BET.

Huey sat on a separate couch, reading a book.

"Hey guys." I said softly with a small smile.

"Lil baby!" Mr. Freeman turned to me, smiling. "We got you something to cheer you up."

"Yeah yeah!" Riley exclaimed as he held a box up. "Check it! Check it! We got yo' ass an Xbox!"

"An Xbox?" I asked confused, not being familiar with the term.

"It's a game, Ebbzy. Now yo' ass can play and not be sad and think about yo' stupid ass dad."

I chuckled slightly while scratching the back of my head. "I really appreciate that guys... but I don't want you guys spending all your money on me. I'm fine, I don't need anything."

"I agree." Huey said bluntly as Riley sucked his teeth. "McHater, yo' ass is just a hater!"

"Yeah boy, stop hatin'. You want lil baby to be sad?" Mr. Freeman frowned at him.

"What I want is for you to fix our debt." Huey told him before closing his book. "You won the lottery ages ago but have refused to take care of our expenses. You keep purchasing worthless things instead."

"Aye! This Xbox ain't worthless! It cost a fortune, nigga!" Riley spat.

Huey shook his head before standing up. "We have enough worries with this Darrell issue. You need to pay our debt."

"Listen to me, boy. I'm the parent, you hear? I'll pay the debt when I damn well feel like it! Until then, shut yo' black ass up and stop hating all the damn time! Shoo..."

Huey glared before he began to walk towards the door.

"I'm going out."

I feel bad. I don't want the Freemans to be fighting or be upset because of my issues. I don't want them worrying all the time because of me.

I followed Huey to the door, taking his arm.

"Hey Huey... Look, I don't want you to worry about everything. About my dad, I've been praying so I know it'll all be okay-"

"What the hell do you think praying is going to do for us, Ebony?"

I paused, caught off guard by his words.

"I'm going out." He repeated himself.

I felt myself get slightly sad as Huey left the house. I know he didn't mean to snap like that. It must be everything that's going on.

It makes me think.

Am I doing more harm than good by staying with the Freemans?

Suddenly, I heard the phone ringing from the living room. Mr. Freeman and Riley were way too focused on the TV to hear the phone.