Chapter 65: Maps

I sat at the wood table in the MapRomm, maps scattered in front of me. The door opened and Thomas, Newt and Minho walked in. I didn't bother getting up or welcoming them. 

"Here, Love." Newt placed a cup of hot fresh coffee in front of me. 

I slowly straighten up. I wrapped my cold numb hands around the mug. He gave me a sad small smile. I didn't have the energy to smile back. 

"Where's Alby? And what's he face?" I asked.

"Alby is sleeping, that shank is still bloody recovering. And Teresa has been put to work in the Kitchen. Frypan and Vinny are keeping an eye on her." Newt answered. 

I snorted, she's gonna have a hard time manipulating those two, and as hot as Vinny was...Teresa wasn't his type. I chuckled to myself. 

"So? What are we missing?" Thomas asked, coming over to the table. Minho was looking at the model of the sticks and he also came over, the guys leaned on the table and I explained, as best I could. 

"Well...we know the maze changes." 

Minho snorted. 

"Shush!" I swatted his arm. 

"Okay, sections 1 through 8..."

I started to draw the maze, the section, cut into pie slices.

"...the walls  move at night...it opens up a new section. The sequence being: 71526483. But only a few of the walls actually move to open, some of these inner walls, why would they need to move? They just randomly move? And when I look at the maps, it's always the same walls, yes, it opens up a new section, but there is something  else. I just can't figure it out!" 

I threw my pencil down in frustration and rubbed my sore eyes. I groaned and my head banged onto the table. Newt patted my back sympathetically. 

"Definity more then we bloody knew before!" 

"We also know Grievers go into section 7 where that...Griever home hole thing- the place they took Gally. We also know they disappear somehow over the Cliff." Minho added, his face scrunched. 

Thomas frowned, looking at the mess of papers all over the table. His eyes were whipping back and forth, he was chewing on the inside of his cheek. He had his puzzle face on. 

Tommy?

I think...I think its a code.

The Maze? A code? How? 

"Hey, out loud you two!" Newt scolded. 

I was zoning out again. I smiled sheepishly at him, Minho just rolled his eyes. 

"Tommy, thinks its a code." I repeated, I stood up and came to his side of the table, trying to see his perspective.

"Well a code of numbers, sure..." Minho said, not quite following. 

I wrinkled my forehead, frowning even deeper. I could feel Thomas thinking, my brain was on fast forwards. 

 "Runners have always compare each section's Map to the one from the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that, day by day, each Runner just analyzing their own Section. Right Minho, that's what you told me, just comparing it to each day before, the same section..."

Minho nodded.

 I gasped, it was a click in my brain, I'm surprised  the guys didn't hear it. 

"What  if  we're supposed to compare the Maps to other sections ...what if we've been looking at it wrong this whole time...."