Chapter 23: The Glue

I found Newt in the gardens, hard at work with a shovel in his hands.

"Newt! I need to talk to you!" I called.

He straightened up, a worried look on his face, and he hurried over.

"What? What's wrong?" He asked as soon as he was close enough. He was reaching out his muddy hands, he grabbed my face, twisting to look at me better.

I swatted his muddy hands away stepping backwards.

"Eww dude! Gross! No, I'm fine!"

I rolled my eyes trying to wipe the mud off me. He visibly relaxed, his eyes calming down and he dropped his hands.

"Then wha' can I help ya with Snips?"

Suddenly I felt nervous and didn't want to ask. I looked down at the grass and kicked the ground with my toe. I ran a hand through my hair and then shoved both hands into my back pockets, and finally looking up to a bemused Newt.

"I umm need a...favor." I mumbled.

I could feel my face heating up. He raised an eyebrow, an amused smirk on his face now.

"What kind of favor? You know your not my cup of tea!" He said cheekily.

I gasped and punch his arm. He threw his head back laughing loudly.

"Eww! Newt! No! You of all people!"

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" He snickered, trying to get himself under control. "What can I help you with Snips?"

"Umm well. I'm helping Minho with a umm project. And I uhh need glue."

"Glue? Okay. What does that have to do with me?" He asked, frowning again, trying to figure out where this was going.

I groaned and looked at the sky, closing my eyes I spat it out as fast as I could.

"I need you to ask Gally if I can use the glue. I saw a huge container of it when I did my job trial!"

"Ahhh!" He chuckled, "I see."

I looked back at him, he had a smug knowing smirk and crossed his arms.

"I should go make you ask."

"Not a good idea."

"Why the bloody hell not?"

"You know very well why not!" I threw my hands into the air. He was going to make this much more complicated!

"Did you not see this morning?" I growled

His smug smirk grew bigger.

"Oh I saw! Most of the Glade bloody saw."

"Then you know I'm not going to go talk to him!" I threw my hands around again, frustrated. I felt my face heating up, and I growled in annoyance.

"We wouldn't want a repeat of that, now would we?"

"Exactly!"

"All that intense eye contact and blushing and tension so thick and juice Frypan's steaks would be jealous."

"Excuse me? The shuck?"

Newt chuckled again, his smug smirk was making me angry, I wanted to smack it off his tanned face.

"You heard me Charlie. After the tender way he treated you last night, and now that big fight this morning? Come on."

"Sure he helped me. It was long over due! And he was being a jerkface this morning."

Newt just hummed. "You know, Snips, love and hate are very similar, uses the same parts of your brain. Makes your body react almost the same...for example...your flushed face? From a blush or anger? Or both?"