•|𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 25|•

AZRAEL 

AZRAEL 

I was still in my study, miserably attempting to focus on my work but all I could think about was my little girl.

The way she reacted when I hugged her, that couldn't only be because she doesn't like me, right?

I know that her life with that woman was far from perfect, it is quite obvious from the house she lived in and the fact that she didn't have many belongings. But that was just because they were struggling financially, wasn't it?

My thoughts were all over the place but one thing I couldn't block was how proud I am of her, my daughter is a genius.

Still in my thoughts, my phone pinged, an incoming message from Ezekiel.

The moment I read those words I was sprinting to Lily's room.

Frozen...

I just stood at the entrance of my daughter's room, frozen like a pathetic man watching my lifeline crying her heart out in her brother's arms while that brother, my little boy, was on the verge of tears himself.

What happened?
Who am I going to kill?

I approached them slowly, Zeke felt my presence immediately lifting his head to meet my gaze. As if on cue, his tears start pouring too while tightening his hold on his sister.

I sat next to them and held them both in my arms. I knew that words wouldn't do them any good in this state, they need reassurance that someone is with them, that someone is holding them, protecting them.

We sat like that for a while, I didn't care to keep tabs on time, if needed I could hold them like this all night.

They are my youngest, I can't help but hold a special place for them in my heart seeing them both like this, a feeling of guilt and self-hatred hits me in full force.

I let them down
I failed them

I failed my son who was with me his whole life, he's terrified to utter a word anymore and I wasn't there to stop it from happening, I failed my daughter, my only daughter, I failed to protect her from her mother all these years ago.

God knows what she's been through while away from me. I missed all her milestones, I wasn't there to scare boys away from her, protect her when someone was mean to her, or hold her when she was scared or had a nightmare.

A big lump was stuck in my throat thinking about all the ways that I've failed as a father.

The sniffing sounds became quiet suddenly and Zeke nudged me, pointing at a sleeping Lily in his arms.