•|𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 18|•

RYKER

RYKER

I still remember the day that my little Lily was brought to this world. As much as our excuse of the birth giver was just a waste of air and an additional human being on this earth, I'm still grateful to her for bringing my petite fleur into our lives.

Living the last sixteen years felt like a chore, everything was a routine and I went with it like a robot. Until the day that Papa received that one phone call that altered my entire life course. Our little princess was found, she's coming back and nothing would ever be able to take her away from us again.

Or so I thought ...

When she walked through the front door behind Dad and Lucian looking so small, I thought, for an instant, that they might have picked the wrong girl. But the moment she spoke, it was a true Knight speaking.

The moment of pride didn't last long, for I was then reminded that the girl talking was my baby sister, my 16-year-old baby sister.

Since she came back, I haven't spent much time with her. I do miss her and want to be open about my feelings for her just like Logan and surprisingly Ezekiel too but something in me just can't give in.

She feels almost surreal.

Like someone I've been waiting for my whole life but at the same time a complete stranger that I'm wary of.

All my life I was Ryder's twin, that was my personality and who I was to the rest of the world. The reason for that is that I mostly keep to myself and I am always present to knock some sense in him whenever his anger gets the best of him. When the spotlight was on him, I was in the shadows in charge of controlling the damage he caused.

Growing up like this made me extremely observant and at the same time wary of anything out of the usual.

Rose was and still is an enigma for me.

I wasn't prepared for her return and as much as it fills me with joy that she's here with the people she belongs with, she's still someone who's unknown to me, someone I can't trust no matter how desperately I want to.

That's why I stayed out of her way since the day she came.

I just watched her from afar thinking that I'd maybe get to know some things about her. Her habits perhaps, or any tiny details that would instal a sense of safety in my mind when it comes to her.

I couldn't decipher her at all.

She's so much like Dad and Lucian that it makes it nearly impossible to know anything about her unless she lets you, which isn't the case because throughout the entire period that she lived with us, I have only seen her a handful of times and those were mostly during diner since it's mandatory to attend.

Her mysterious aura and dark demeanor keep messing with my head. I'm not comfortable with being in the dark, it irritates me which in turn makes me act on impulse, just like Ryder. When I'm annoyed I don't think before I talk or act, it comes on instinct and most of the time I end up hurting people or causing semi-permanent damage and those are on my best days.

But I don't ever wanna be that person in my sister's life, I know that I haven't been the perfect brother to her since she came but being only a person she shares a house with will cause her less harm than knowing me as a brother and getting close to me.

We were still in the living room where Elias and Elijah were clearly in deep shit with Dad for how they treated not only Lily but Ezekiel too apparently when Lucian got a notification from the front gate guards about Logan basically driving through the gates we all knew that something was wrong.

I expected him to be still mad at the boys and that he'd come barging through the door to finish what he started earlier, but it ain't the case.

As time went by and neither of our three youngest showed up Dad grew anxious, we followed him out only to see Logan and Ezekiel both standing on both sides of the car talking to Lily who was still in the backseat.

Is she throwing a tantrum about not wanting to come in or what?

That doesn't really sound like something she would do.

The moment I saw Logan picking my unconscious little sister in his arms and Ezekiel looking on the verge of tears, I felt like the time was frozen.

The first thought that ran through my mind was Who the fuck dared to hurt my blood?

Knowing that I can't lose myself to the bloodlust I'm feeling right now I clunch and unclunch my fist trying to calm my raging breath because for now there's someone way more important who needs me.

I need to be with my sister, ma petite fleur.

I have never run this fast in my life, the moment I made it to the infirmary just as Logan was about to put Lily on the bed. Once he called our family's doctor who happens to be my best mate I sighed in relief knowing that she'd be taken care of in the best way possible.

Dad instantly fired Logan with questions, he mentioned something about a panic attack and flashbacks.

I felt like I was hit by a fucking truck!

All these years when she was with our birth giver, I always thought that she'd be safe. I liked the thought of my little sister having a wonderful childhood where she'd go trick or treating during Halloween and go on playdates with her friends from school, I liked to believe that the mother who raised me would somehow have a change of heart since she left the cruel mafia lifestyle and that she'd give my little angel all the love she deserves. However, hearing that a fucking panic attack made her black out is way more than enough for me to know that these fairytales that I thought she was living in are nothing but utter bullshit.

She started to wake up just as Liam, our doctor, showed up. It seemed like she was trying to get up I immediately took a step forward

"Easy there petite soeur stay in your bed"

She seemed to recognize my voice as she turned her eyes to me for a moment and then looked all around her frantically.

Ezekiel then signs to us to leave the room so as to not overwhelm her. A part of me agrees with him as much as I hate it, but I couldn't leave until I knew my sister was alright. I had to make sure that she was better and most importantly I had to know who caused her to be in such a state.

As I was about to refuse, Logan confirmed what Ezekiel was saying.

Reluctantly, we all make our way to the lobby.

I throw a look at Liam and he immediately nods understanding me without me uttering a word.

A hair out of place on my sister's head and he'll be in a very similar room with so much more damage, friend or not from this day no one says or does a thing to my Rose. Not if they value their lives.