Chapter 17

Previously on Chapter 16

Kyou-Chan forbids me to come with him during his mission to Mugen Train in order to keep me away from harm. Sanemi protected me from this demon during our duo mission, and now these three boys are about to do the same. They're going to get hurt for my sake. No... I can't let that happen! I have to do something!! But what can I do??

-What Should I Do?-

Y/N P.O.V

I place my hand on Tanjiro's shoulder. He turn his head to look at me. "Enough people getting hurt in my place. I'm not going to let it happen again... you three step back. I'll handle him myself" I said. Tanjiro's eyes widened at what I said. He open his mouth. I give him a stern expression. "I'm your superior. This is an order. Stay back... I mean it" I said.

He quickly closes his mouth, not daring to say a single word back. I turn my head to look at the two boys. Zenitsu stares at me with a worried gaze. I turn to look at Inosuke. I'm not sure what kind of expression he's making since he's wearing a boar mask.

Tanjiro P.O.V

I can't let Y/N-San fight off this demon alone. This is the same demon that killed Rengoku-San. If I let her fight him alone, she's going to get herself killed. I've made a promise to Rengoku-San during his last moments.

Flashback

I kneeled down in front of Rengoku-San. Blood flowed out of the gaping hole on his chest. Tears streamed down my cheeks, knowing he's going to die and there's nothing I could do to help him.

"Listen, Young Kamado... there are two requests that I have for you..." he said. I just stayed silent as I listened to him, waiting for him to tell me his requests. "I have no regret in this battle but two. One, is my little brother. He's going to have no one to support him through his journey. And two... once I took my last breath today. My only regret is to not tell her how much I love her. How much I wished to spend the rest of my life with her. My fiancée... L/N Y/N" he said.

I let out a shaky gasp at what he said. "I have made her a promise that someday we'd get married and start a small family together. But I regretfully wouldn't be able to fulfill that promise. I'll leave her heartbroken and I'm the only one she had..." he said. I noticed the tears building up in his eyes. But he seemed to try to act strong. "Please take care of her for me... and please make sure she didn't fall for the wrong person. Make sure she'd take care of her health. I just want her to be happy... can you do that for me?" He asked.

End of Flashback

"Rengoku-San..." I mumbled softly. I shake my head as I look up with a determined look. I move to stand in next to Y/N-San. "I'm sorry, Y/N-San! But I can't let you fight this Upper Moon all by yourself! I made a promise to Rengoku-San that I'll assist you in every possible ways. He wants me to keep you safe and ensure that you're always healthy!" I said. I notice her eyes widening slightly at the mention of the deceased Flame Hashira.

"He said that... to you?" She said. I turn to look at her and nod my head. She slowly lower her head as she stares at the ground. I notice something glistening rolling down her cheeks which I can instantly tell that those are her tears. "Kyou-Chan..." she said in a hushed voice. But I'm still able to hear her. I understand that losing Rengoku-San must've been hard for her.

"You're not alone in this, Y/N-Chan. Zenitsu, Inosuke and I are here. We'd help you every way we can. Plus... you have Shinazugawa-San as well. He loves you so much... so don't give up and don't push us away" I said. I hear a scoff coming from in front of us.

"Don't tell me that you and that damned Wind Hashira are now dating" the demon said. Y/N-San turn her head to look at the demon. The look of annoyance is evident on his expression as he stares at Y/N-San.

"And so what if we are, huh?!" Y/N-San yelled at the demon. The demon's hands starts clenching at Y/N-San's confirmation that she and Shinazugawa-San are dating each other. "I've already told you once before. But I'll say it again to make myself clearer... I will NEVER go for someone like you even if we're the last ones alive in this world! Sanemi has always been there for me after I lost the man I love... and I might as well remind you that my fiancé died in YOUR hands!" She said, glaring angrily at the demon.

"And I already said that I don't care. You're going to be mine whether you like it or not. Even if I have to get rid of these useless boys in order to claim you..." he said. I clench my hands around the hilt of my nichirin sword.

He speeds up towards us. I jump out of the way as he slam his fist on the ground, creating a huge crack on the ground. I land on the ground not too far from him. He turn to glare at me and turn to look at Y/N-San.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with me willingly, Y/N? You could avoid all the casualties. Someone will get seriously hurt just because of this. But if you agree to come willingly. I will spare their lives" he said. I click my tongue in annoyance at his threat.

"She's not coming with you!" Tanjiro yelled out. He outstretch his arm in front of me protectively. "I dare you to try and take her away. I'm going to kill you!" He said, glaring at the Upper demon. They glare at each other. The next thing I know, they start attacking one another. Tanjiro is struggling to keep up with the Upper demon's strength.

Tanjiro noticeably starts to grow tired. He drop on his knees as his friends take over as they start to attack the Upper demon. I clench my hand around my sword hilt, cursing at myself for not making any move to give them a hand.

I look around the area as Tanjiro gets trapped under a rubble. Zenitsu and Inosuke are both unconscious with blood seeping out of their wounds from the Upper demon's attack.

Neither of them seem to be able to move. I turn my attention to the demon and lunges forward. But he dodged my attack swiftly, landing a kick on my back as he kicks me towards a building. My back crashes against the hard wall. It feels like air have been squeezed out of my lungs.

I struggle to stand up as I ended up on my knees with the rest of my body upright. I breathe heavily as I struggle to catch my breath. I notice a pair of feet in front of me. I feel cold fingers on my chin, tilting my head to meet a pair of yellow eyes that have engraving in them. He move his finger so his hand is cupping the side of my cheek. His touch surprisingly gentle.

"I have warned you that they will get hurt. I told you this will happen. But you didn't listen to me... now, come with me. If you still refuse. I'll kill these boys and that little traitor. Their deaths will be on you" he said. I look down as tears starts to stream down my cheeks. My grip on my sword's hilt loosen up, making my sword falls on the ground.

"Y-Y/N-S-San... d-don't g-go w-w-with him. He's the r-reason R-Rengoku-San is d-dead" I hear a weak voice. I turn my head to see Tanjiro as he struggles to get out of the rubble. His sister is not far from him, unconscious.

What should I do?

*to be continued*