Tate chuckles and shakes his head. "I don't know, Holden. Quinn might not be okay with you basically showing the goods to everyone."

"Stop it! She can appreciate the game bartenders have to play. She's fine."

"And I'm the younger brother?" Tate says as he rolls his eyes. "If you actually believe that, then you're delusional."

~*~

We get to the bar and we take our favorite booth, and I get out Mrs. Mike. "Why are you rereading it? You know that book by heart," Tate asks.

"Because I love it. I've already got my report almost done."

Tate opens his mouth and gasps. "It's been TWO DAYS!"

"What book are you doing?" I chuckle.

"I literally haven't even started."

"....Are you going to?"

"Probably," Tate groans. "Holden told me the other day when you were in the corner that if I didn't do it, I'd get the belt. He seemed pretty serious."

"Well, I'd pick out a book soon if I were you. You don't have as much time as you think."

"I have no idea what book to do...I haven't read a book in, well... ever."

It's my turn for my mouth to drop open. "You've never read a full book.....?!?"

"No"

"Can you even read?"

He gives me an offended look and throws a little container of creamer at me. "Yes, Julianne. I can read."

"You can go through my stash of books if you want. Maybe you will find something."

He groans as Nico comes over to take our order.

"My favorite teens! Whatcha eatin' tonight?"

"Definitely not the nachos," Tate shutters as he looks at the menu, and then glances up and laughs. "I seriously told him!"

"Told who what?" Nico asks as he follows Tate's gaze.

"I told Holden to quit being a slut, because Quinn wouldn't like it."

Nico watches silently, and we see what Tate does. Several woman at the bar flirting hard with Holden, and he's flirting back. And it's completely obvious he's not into them and only wanting the tips.

But Quinn is watching, and looking angrier than heat lightening against a night's sky.

"Whoops! My boy is gonna git his ass whooped if he ain't careful. 'Scuse me for a bit....I gotta save yo brother's white ass from turning blacker than mine!"

We watch as Nico goes over to Holden and puts his hand around his shoulder, and pulls him away from the girls. He says something in his ear, and Holden rolls his eyes and says something back.

"I swear I'm gonna burn those jeans tonight. He's gonna ruin what he's got going with Quinn." Tate mumbles darkly as he picks at the menu's corner.

"Are you actually upset?" I ask after a few moments.

"Yeah. Us, Holden, Quinn...We finally feel like a family in a weird sorta way...."

I nod and watch as Holden continues to flirt.

When I turn back, Tate is watching me, "Have you apologized to him yet?"

I shake my head and take a sip of my soda.

Tate continues to watch me. "I think you should, Julianne. I think you really hurt his feelings."

"He's fine!" I argue.

Tate shakes his head and starts stacking the jelly packets into a tower.

"He's fine with me, yeah....But he's still really upset with you and you know that."

"I just don't want to."

"Why?"

Because it's awkward. "I don't know."

"I think it's hurting his feelings worse because he asked me this morning if you apologized and I told him yeah. I can tell that he's wondering why you would to me and not him."

I stay silent and Tate drops it as he gets on Snapchat.

~*~

We get our food a while later and Holden comes to check on us.

"How you guys doing?" He asks as he refills our drinks.

"Burn your damn pants, Holden." Tate snaps.

"What?"

"Quinn is getting pissed and I like her around. Quit flirting and just work like a normal person, or I'm sneaking into your room tonight and throwing them in the ocean."

Holden is speechless as he stares at Tate in horror, and then steals one of Tate's fries wordlessly. After he chews for longer than necessary, he clears his throat.

"First off....I'm not true flirting...And second.....Leave my jeans alone," he says as he turns and heads back to the bar.

Tate shakes his head angrily and stares hard at his smash burger. "He's a complete idiot."