Chapter 41

"Do you even deserve to be called a father?"

The piercing question ran through Shahnawaz Khan's mind, an agonizing echo that had trapped him for two sleepless nights. The weight of it coiled around his chest, an unrelenting torment that refused to release its grip.

Lost in the intricate maze of his thoughts, Shahnawaz sought refuge in his study, each step a heavy testament to the burden he carried. Grateful for the silence that enveloped him, he purposely distanced himself from his family, unable to confront the strange unease that had settled within him.

Locked in the dim-lit haven of his study, Shahnawaz's meals arrived untouched, his appetite sapped by a nauseating dislike to the sight of food. Tonight, like the nights before, the gloomy atmosphere of his study provided an odd solace, a companion in his moments of inner turmoil.

Murtasim's words echoed incessantly in his mind, a haunting refrain that dug deep into his soul. The revelation that his children, whom he thought respected him, instead harbored the fear of his presence. The man who had strived to embody the ideal Khan, a beacon of strength and authority, now found himself grappling with the unintended consequences of his own behavior.

Seated beside the crackling fireplace, Shahnawaz Khan closed his eyes, allowing the flickering flames to paint vivid scenes of his life. The burden of leadership had been thrust upon him at a tender age of sixteen, met with skepticism from those who doubted his capability, be it from his parental side or his people. Determined to prove his worth, he embraced the responsibilities of his feudal role, following in his father's formidable footsteps.

"A Khan stands tall, never bowing in weakness. He knows his own worth and must be strong to deter any challenges to his authority. He takes pride not only in his wisdom and title but in who he is. As the head of his family and clan, he shoulders the responsibility of guiding and managing his people.

The women in his family and the entire community look to him for protection and safety. Their actions directly reflect on his honor, intertwining their lives with his legacy. Understanding and embracing his authority and responsibility is key; it's not just about having power but knowing how to use it wisely.

Being a Khan is like conducting a symphony. It's about striking the right balance between strength and compassion. True leadership is not about ruling with fear but navigating a balance of influence with a deep understanding of one's own significance.

The seat of power for a Khan isn't just a throne; it's a sacred trust and a promise to the past and future. It's a constant effort to find harmony, where wisdom, title, and the responsibility of leading lives blend into the vibrant melody of a true Khan's legacy."

His father's teachings echoed in his mind, shaping him into a leader who took pride in his wisdom and title. The responsibility to lead and protect his people, to uphold the honor of his family, became the driving force behind his every action. The weight of tradition and expectation molded him into a symbol of strength, a Khan who would never falter.

However, the reality of when and how Shahnawaz turned into the stoic figure his son accused him of being confused him. Was it the ceaseless pursuit to assert dominance over others or the relentless self-mantra of never revealing vulnerability that dulled the edges of his emotions? When did these shields he raised exclusively for his enemies had unknowingly become barrier between him and his own children?

In a moment of poignant self-realization, Shahnawaz acknowledged that he had become more of a Khan than a father to his own flesh and blood. The realization, like a dagger, stabbed at his core, unraveling the layers of self-imposed distance. It was a revelation so heart-wrenching that he could almost feel the ache in his chest.

The epiphany struck him with full force when Murtasim, amidst a storm of emotional turmoil, uttered a simple yet profound word – "baba." The absence of the formal "baba sahab" shook Shahnawaz to his core. It dawned on him that he had, perhaps inadvertently, created an atmosphere where his children perceived him more as a distant authority figure than a nurturing father.

The ache in his heart intensified as he reflected on the deliberate instruction to both Mariam and Murtasim to address him with the more formal title. It was an instruction given in the notions of respect and authority. But, the pressing question surfaced: Why did he insist on this formality from his own children? When had love taken a backseat to the need for enforced respect? ? The introspection led him down a path where he questioned not only his actions but the very essence of the man he had become. In confronting these truths, he faced the realization of the pettiness that had unwittingly crept into his character.

The Shahnawaz who initially sought to establish his worth through wisdom and exemplary leadership had transformed into a figure of arrogance and egotism. Instead of earning respect through genuine connection, he found himself enforcing compliance through compulsion.

The strong destructive storm in his mind gave him a headache. Closing his eyes and resting his head on the sofa, he slipped into a deeper, more complex memory lane that came crashing over him.

_____________________________