Chapter 39

The ceaseless storm in Murtasim's mind had finally subsided, leaving room for a singular focus. The recent fight with Meerab had left him emotionally battered, but with their relationship now restored to equilibrium, he redirected his energy toward a singular mission—exposing the true nature of Zain. Armed with a handful of cases documenting Zain Hashwani's history of physical assault and substance abuse, Murtasim understood the need for more evidence to unveil Zain's evil intentions to his father.

As the wedding loomed just a week away, Murtasim's anxiety intensified, compelling him to dig deeper into Zain's personal life. Despite his efforts, he found himself grappling with the lack of recent evidence that could decisively expose Zain's true image. Then, a breakthrough came in the form of a late-night call from Bakhtu.

"Bakhtu, did you find something?" Murtasim inquired, his forehead etched with lines of palpable anxiety.

"Jee Maalik," Bakhtu responded cryptically.

"And?" Murtasim pressed for more information.

"I don't think I'll be able to tell you this on call, but I'll send you proof strong enough to expose what sort of a disgusting man Zain Hashwani is," Bakhtu replied, his voice carrying a mix of disappointment and anger.

Murtasim's anticipation hung in the air as he waited for Bakhtu to deliver the promised evidence. Whatever it was, Murtasim mused, it had to be substantial to evoke such a reaction from Bakhtu.

Soon, Murtasim's phone was flooded with a cascade of pictures and videos. As he scrolled through the damning evidence, a surge of disgust coursed through him. Yet, amid the repulsion, a satisfactory smirk played on Murtasim's face. "Surely, this will do," he affirmed to himself, promptly forwarding the incriminating material to Zain.

_______________________________

Zain's call to Murtasim came as no surprise, and Murtasim answered with a subtle smile playing on his lips, ready for the verbal confrontation.

"You do realize that invading someone's personal space and taking pictures without their consent is an offense, right?" Zain's voice dripped with annoyance, each word meticulously chosen for impact.

"Hmm, and what are you going to do about it?" Murtasim replied, exuding confidence that Zain's feeble denials wouldn't hold up against the damning evidence.

Zain, seemingly unfazed, explained his strategy, "Well, I'll straight up deny it. It's all in the past, and I have no relation with that girl. You know, the same old excuses. And I don't think this would disrupt my marriage with your sister, Murtasim."

Murtasim, unmoved, countered, "Zain, you do realize that these pictures are solid proof of how disgusting you are, right?"

With a dismissive air, Zain responded, "Well, Murtasim, let's not act like we're all saints here. You've lived in America for almost five years; I didn't think you'd be so conservative. I've had past relationships, but what matters is that I'm marrying your sister, and nothing you do now can stop that."

Murtasim, expecting a shred of shame from Zain, found none. Zain Hashwani, as he had forgotten, was a certified scoundrel.

As the silence lingered, Zain, with misplaced confidence, cleared his throat and continued, "And let's not forget, photoshop is a thing. I'll simply deny it and put all the blame on how jealous you are. Given your desperation to stop this wedding, I'm sure everyone will believe me over you. You know how my perfect, innocent persona is. It even had your Meerab fooled."

Murtasim's patience snapped, "Don't ever dare to take my wife's name out of your filthy mouth, you asshole."

Zain, unrelenting, taunted, "Chalo, let's bring your sister's name into this then."