Chapter 46

Adira

3 Months later

Adira can't sleep. It has been three months since she moved on. Her parents' debt has been paid. Now, Adira had a new start. She moved to a small neighborhood, works in a coffee shop and has a cat. The life she had dreamed of.

You go back to killing, or live a normal life.

No, Adira didn't go back to killing. For the first time in forever, she feels alive. She is okay.

But right now, after she jolted up in the middle of the night, after she saw the faces of her victims in a dream seizing in pain on the ground as the life drained out of them, after she smelled the iron of the blood, she is everything but okay and alive.

Everything she did now occurs in regular nightmares.

She isn't grateful of what she did. She was forced by her mentor to do that.

Breathe. In. Out.

Adira swings her legs out of her bed and shimmies into her slippers, throwing a cardigan over her shoulders, before she opens the door of her bedroom to the hallway.

She needs a glass of water. And maybe a snack.

The hallway in front of her is dimly lit by the moonlight through the skylight, and she has to watch out with her steps to not accidentally fall over her black cat whose fur practically blends in perfectly with the carpet laid out on the floor.

As Adira yawns and makes her way down the stairs, she can't shake off the feeling of something being here.

She stops dead in her tracks on one step that aches in protest.

Oh, this isn't good.

The feeling of being watched lingers.

A nauseating feeling rises in her stomach, but Adira forces herself to continue walking down to the kitchen, acting unaware.

In the kitchen, she opens the fridge. The refrigerator light illuminates her shape. After she grabbed a cool bottle of water, she closes the fridge door again. In the shiny, polished silver metal, she glances past her reflection to see if anyone besides her was in the house.

Her heart skips a beat when she does see a shadow.

A shadow painted against the wall of her living room.

A shadow of a human.

A shadow that shouldn't be there.

But she continues to keep up her act.

She opens the cabinet to grab a packet of Instant Ramen Noodles.

Back in her time at the compound, she always had a snack around midnight, since most of her missions lasted until then.

And that habit stuck with her.

She hums a few tones of a melody as she drops the noodles and spices into a bowl.

Internally, though, her mind races around the fact that someone is in her house.

How did they get in?

She locked the door.

Did they shoot the lock?

She enabled the intruder alert.

Did they ... disable that too?

She would have heard if someone entered her home.

... Right?