Chapter 45

The apartment complex looks oddly familiar, yet Adira can't quite put her finger on where she saw it the last time. Connor leads her up the sets of crudely-made concrete stairs that seem to crumble apart as soon as she sets foot on them, until they both reach a long empty hallway on the third floor.

There is the faint sound of classical music playing from one of the apartments, the noise echoes through the hallway. Besides a few crusty doormats spelling "Welcome" and a dry dying plant next to one door, there is not much else to offer.

Multiple doors are on either side, their red paint chipped and the hinges rusty.

Over all, this whole complex looks like the rent here isn't much.

And Adira has this constant feeling of a Deja Vu clawing at the back of her mind.

Connor apparently has one aim in his mind, since he walks toward one door about in the middle of the hallway. There, he stops in his tracks and leans against the rough plastered wall beside it. His hand reaches into his pocket and he lights himself a cigarette.

Coping with trauma? Now?

"Wh- what am I supposed to do?" Adira stumbles dumb-funded. He raises an eyebrow at her, surprised.

"You knock. You know how to do that? You make a fist with your hand, raise it and instead of hitting my face for once, you hit your fist against the door. Three times, to be polite. If that is a word in your vocabulary," he sarcastically explains.

She scoffs. "I don't know who lives here."

Connor grins. "I bet you do. Very well."

Adira takes a deep breath and knocks on the door. Three times - because she does know how to be polite. Oh, how she would love to hit his face with her fist instead.

The door she knocked on doesn't have a name plate. She might have just knocked on some strangers' door. There is silence. Even the music in the hallway has stopped.

All that is audible is Adira's nervous heartbeat and Connor tapping his shoe on the ground. She already wants to turn around and head back, she has no business being here after all. Coming here feels illegal. But suddenly, to Adira's surprise, the door opens.

A woman, about in her Forties, with curlers in her brown hair and a beige knit sweater, stands there, confused. A lump forms in Adira's throat. She would recognize the green eyes identical to hers everywhere. She can't speak anymore, she is certain she can't even move.

"Mom?" she forces out, her voice is quiet, if not a whisper.

Out of the corner of her eye, Connor had pushed off the wall and stands behind her, a little out of place.

"Adira...?" the woman speaks up, her words carrying a certain grief in them.

A strong hand on Adira's shoulder gently urges her to walk forwards. She makes a hesitant step and falls into her mother's arms.

There, she breaks apart. Connor showed her the apartment complex because he knew where her parents live. He did it for her. The question is, why?

Why?

Her mother brushes her hand through Adira's hair while the girl clings on the knit sweater, inhaling the scent of home - something she didn't know she missed yet remembered after eleven years.

"Oh, my baby, I thought I'd never see you again."

After what feels like an eternity, Adira pulls back. She sees her mom studying the guy standing behind her.

Oh, if she knew...

"Who's-"

"Someone," Adira quickly replies.