Chapter 36

Adira

Interrogation Room, DEVICORP Compound

Adira is unsure what to feel. If she should feel something at all.

All she can see is the spiteful look her mentor gives her. He has regained consciousness, the blood on his nose and corners of his mouth have dried to a dark crusty stain.

Despite his perhaps broken wrist, Connor tied Bill to a chair. With his hands behind the backrest of the small chair, Adira knows Bill is in a helpless situation.

The dim light of the interrogation room almost makes her mentor's eyes look like glowing coals in the shade.

Adira's heart beats up to her throat.

"When I catch that guy, and I will, he's all yours. I won't hold you back from blasting his head off."

Suddenly, Adira isn't so sure of that anymore.

"Adira-", Bill croaks out, looking up to her through half-lidded eyes.

She doesn't know what to reply.

Her mentor suddenly laughs, hoarsely.

"You don't have the guts to harm me, let's be real."

Connor is there, leaning against the wall of the interrogation room, twisting a glimmering cigarette between his fingertips, looking almost bored.

Adira's actions grow more hesitant.

"Hey, eyes on me, Love."

Connor's voice from the side tears her back to reality.

„Easy, eyes on me."

He pushes off of the wall he was leaning against and gently grabs her shoulders to move her away from her spiteful mentor.

„Let me."

With that, he pushes Adira back, taking control of the situation now.

She walks to the corner of the room, pressing herself close to the wall to make as much room between her and Bill's heated look.

She can't leave this room, she doesn't want to.

She needs to see him suffer equally as she did all these eleven years.

Eleven years of her standing in his shadow, let him use her in more than one way, he has to make up for it. With pain. Adira needs to see that word painted into his eyes once. Her mentor might be tough but she knows what strings to pull to make him drop that mask.

Connor now is in charge.

„So...", he begins and strolls over to the dazed Bill tied to the chair.

„Mr Bill Scott – the one and only."

Adira's mentor seems to be amused.

Connor drags a metal chair behind him and places it directly parallel to his position, so that he's facing him when he takes a seat.

What is he doing?

Connor bends forwards and pats down Bill's pockets, finding his pack of cigars.

„Ah, I see... You have great taste in... lung cancer.", he chuckles and pulls out one cigar.

Then, he lights it, although he doesn't draw on it.

Instead, he lets it burn down a little, so that the first ashes fall to the ground.

Then, Adira's breath stops. Connor lunges forwards and puts the cigar out on Bill's neck, right where his main artery is.