Chapter 26

Adira

DEVICORP Compound

"I have a confession to make.", Connor's voice startles Adira in her room. She whirls around to see him leaning in her doorway again, his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"Oh, yes? Let me guess, you actually wanted to kill me all along?"

But he shakes his head and moves from the door frame, walking towards her.

"Not even remotely close. But you mentioned a Gala for three days from now.", he states.

Adira shrugs. "Yes, and?"

But her eyes widen, momentarily.

"Wh- Oh, no. Hell no."

Connor is irresistible and sits down on her bed, now less than three feet away from her. "Just this once."

Fuck no.

But she doesn't say it.

"What's the mission?"

Again! Why is she helping?

A smirk tugs at Connor's lips. "Come with me, I'll show you the details."

~

Adira suspiciously eyes the items placed on the table. A quite large map lies there, and Connor, Damian and Connie are already looking at specific locations on it.

Next to the map, the contents of a folder are scattered on the tabletop. Adira looks through the pictures. Two men – about in their late Forties. One picture is labeled with the name "Joshua Kozlov", the other one with "Trevor Donnwell". The eyes of these two men is what gives Adira goosebumps. Besides the pictures, there is a handwritten letter too.

Adira picks it up to read.

Dear Carter Sheffron,

Long time we didn't speak. The business is going well? Here with us too. Come and check out my company soon, old man.

We miss the times we played Poker with you. Those were good times.

Anyhow, keep an eye out for confrontation. Keep the market alive.

- Sincerely, Kozlov and Donnwell

The letter is written in broken English.

Keep the market alive – the same words Adira said at the game of Poker Carter lost his life in.

The letter never was sent. It has a stamp on it, but oddly enough not an address, though.

Adira knows, if she were to ask about it, she wouldn't get answers here. So she focuses on the map again and puts the letter aside.

The map shows an almost square-shaped building with a few spots on the corners circled in red and a D next to each one – probably standing for Cameras and Damian.

CCTV cameras.

"What the absolute fuck is that supposed to mean?", Adira mumbles as she leans over it, eyeing the different colored markings all over the location displayed. In bold capital letters, the words "Part One" are written on the upper end of the map.

Connor trails his finger down two lines drawn in blue and green.

These two lines simultaneously run together along a small path until the blue one stops short and ends with a circled spot while the green one runs all the way to a black square drawn on one side of the building in the center of the map – probably an entrance.

"That's the way."

"Who's green, who's blue?", Adira asks.

"Blue is me, green is you.", Connor simply replies.

What?

"You fucking want me to go in there?", Adira gasps, to which he shrugs. "I thought you were the best Agent in this business."

Damnit!

"Where is that building located?"

Connie holds out a tablet with a digital map opened on it, and scrolls a little from the downtown center - where DEVICORP is located - to the one side, revealing a patch of green – a forest.

A white arrow is pointing to a small hut. Soyan's Souls. A Chinese restaurant, like Connie predicted before.

From said hut, it's a small distance to the patch of green. When Adira looks back to the map spread out on the table, she spots the layout to be the same as on the digital map – as if the building is hidden in the forest.

"What's the plan?", Adira asks and cracks her knuckles.

Connor straightens. "You and I will go along the path, until I stay at the circled spot-", he points at said circled spot, "- and you'll continue. Enter the building. We don't know the layout inside yet. So, best of luck then."

What? This is suicide.

Damian walks over to the three already at the table. "I'll disable the security cameras and display a false image. Should give you enough time to get inside and out again. We're connected over earpieces."

Oh. That's how it'll be. She'll do the dirty work again.

"And what exactly are we doing this for?", Adira asks, taking a deep breath.

Connor clears his voice. "Thanks to your eavesdrop earlier, we now have the address. But we don't know if both will be there.

Our main objective is to track a military truck. It belongs to Mr Kozlov, he uses it as a get-by. I'll give you the tracker before we'll go into the mission. By all means necessary, this is what needs to work out. Optional is killing Kozlov right there. We'll spare Mr Donnwell, two dead bodies at one spot will cause suspicion. Not that this case already does, but we're only capable of erasing as many traces as to lead back to one."

Suddenly, his attention is on Adira. "If anything – and I repeat, anything – goes wrong, we'll only track the truck Kozlov uses. Nothing more. Then we'll gather right here.", he points to an area a little off from the building, circled in gray.

"Alright. So just tracking a truck, optional is a kill."

"Optional is a kill for you.", Connor corrects. "I won't kill anyone. Only disable them."

Ah. The innocent boy – so innocent.

Adira only shrugs.

"What weapon will I be given?"

"Standard hand gun, maybe a knife. You can choose.", Connie says.

Adira already wants to head to her room, but Connor holds her back. "That's only part one of the mission."

What?

Connor nods to the capital letters at the top of the map spelling "Part One", which Adira already discovered.

Fantastic.

"How many parts does this mission consist of?", she sighs, resigned.

"Three. The location in the forest is the first, the Gala in three days is the second, and the third is unclear yet. Three parts, though.", Connor explains.

"Ugh, fine. What is the plan for the Gala?", Adira asks, yawning.

"We'll talk it through after we finished Part One.", he says.

Great.