Chapter 38

(extreme spice warning!)

Adira

Smith&Byers

"Are your missions always so ill-considered?"

"Do you also never shut the fuck up when fulfilling a mission?"

They are both suspended by a rope dangling on the side of a high-riser in the middle of the city.

Smith&byers is a high-riser almost hidden to the bare eye in the many skyscrapers around it.

No logo – no people in it. So far.

Their goal is to reach the top and climb into a ventilation unit to gather the data – well, one will, the other will stand watch.

Adira looks down. The traffic on the street and the faint noises is everything that surrounds her. Connor had taken the lead.

Damian and Connie had calculated it exact – the rope hangs in the shadow of one side. They won't be spotted.

The whole scenario reminds Adira too much of the mission where she was supposed to kill Connor.

"Are you even moving?", sounds from above. Connor has reached the next floor already. She's hanging behind.

"Yes, asshole!", she spits.

The skin of her hands is sore from all the spots the rope scratches against them.

But she needs to pull through.

~

Eventually, they both reach the top – the rooftop.

There is a wide ventilation shaft reaching down into the body of the building – wide enough for one person to fit through. Suspended by a rope, they could even manage to get back out.

"Why are you looking at me like that, I'm not going in there...", Adira mumbles. Connor raises an eyebrow at her.

"What, I'm not the one stealing after all..."

"No, but you kill. That's worse.", he snaps and roughly yanks the rope she holds in her hands from her and ties one end around his belt.

"I'll do it then!"

With that, he takes off the ventilation cover and climbs inside, crouching down on all fours, his shape soon swallowed by the dark.

"Copy?", Adira soon hears his voice through her earpiece.

"Yes...", she mumbles.

For the first time, she gets to witness a mission pan out in front of her eyes – well, out of vision but not out of ear's reach.

The whole data theft doesn't take longer than five minutes. Whatever super servers they have, Connor apparently knows which one it is that has the data he needs on, and the download doesn't take long either.

"Got it.", she soon hears him say.

The rope tugs in her hands suddenly.

A sign for her to start pulling. So, she gets into a stance and uses both hands to deliberately pull back the rope.

After a few seconds, Connor's hair appears in the ventilation shaft again and he climbs out.

"Is it always that fast?", Adira asks, almost sarcastic.

"Fast? That was long. Damian needed to get behind a firewall.", he replies.

Oh. So the government and their clients do save and protect their data.