Chapter 27

Adira

Forest

The moonlight illuminates the small path. The leaves of the trees rustle in the cool wind.

The night is in its full glory, painting Adira's frozen shape on the ground in front of her and casting the silhouettes of the forest around her in an eerie light.

Two people.

Adira can kill two people. Soon enough.

Carter Sheffron's accomplices, Trevor Donnwell, and Joshua Kozlov.

For now, she has no idea where both of them are holed up. But they won't be seen in the same location at the same time – that would arouse suspicion.

Though, maybe that's exactly what these two are playing with.

"Agent Blue, what's your status?", Adira squeezes out while she hides in the shadow of a tree.

"No sign of the hostiles, yet."

Great. This will be a long night.

"I'm moving up to you.", Adira states and leaves her position.

A sound of approval from Connor.

A twig snaps in the distance.

Shit.

Someone is here – Connor would never make the mistake to step on a branch. He is the best Agent in this business besides her. They may have their differences, but the training was the same, if not better – a constant competition.

Adira's hand instinctively reaches for her knife, a beautiful huntsman slaughter knife. One she was allowed to take as a weapon of choice.

A few seconds pass, the only thing she can hear is her breath she desperately tries to keep under control. So far, she manages.

She knows, she needs to move fast, to either reach Connor or take out that someone in this forest, watching them, before they could alert any others.

"Damian, what do you see?"

Damian clicks into her earpiece, as he sees the whole thing through the CCTV cameras, through a transmitter he logged into earlier.

"Got a clear image of the building. Guarded at the main entrance, but you should be free to go from the rooftop."

Everything is going according to plan, Adira.

It has to go according to plan.

Adira squints her eyes through the distance of the forest to glance through the branches. Indeed, Damian didn't lie, the building lies in a clearing. She can spot the faint red blinking dots – reminding her of the red light she saw blinking from the grenade that went off in her room – from the CCTV cameras scattered around the building.

"Agent Blue, got two hostiles at the main entrance. I'll head for the rooftop, or you'll take them out."

"I'll take them out. Into a nice sleep.", Connor replies into her earpiece.

"Or on a date.", she chuckles, as she hears a few Pop! Pop! noises, barely audible, from somewhere in the forest.

"Hostiles down, free to continue."

Adira inches closer to the clearing, her movements graceful and silent.

The building is hidden well on the clearing, five-hundred yards deep into the forest – a forest that was crossed out on the hunting list and preserved for natural habitat.